1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

DJI Fixed Camera Mount

I know the majority of folks with GoPros are using gimbals, but given that I don't have any solid prospects for true aerial photography, I sprung the whopping $12 on the DJI Camera Mounting Bracket for the Phantom 2. Also, the hobby here is flying the Phantom and not photography, so I figured dropping several hundred on a gimbal just didn't make sense for me right now. Additionally, I want to wait until the dust settles with everything else going on at the moment.

http://www.dronefly.com/ProductDetai...de=Part-7-P2MB

Anybody else have this?

I also finally sprung for a GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition on Amazon - should be here on Friday, along with the camera mount, so I am hoping to get my first aerial shots with my P2 this weekend, weather permitting.

Just curious if anybody has had luck with the mount and what their thoughts are, and if there is anything I need to know before it arrives on Friday.

Thanks!

Fink

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no experience of that mount but it will be interesting to compare the quality of the video regarding stability compared to a Vision without 2 axis gimbal.

I reckon 2d gimbals will really come down in price now and there will be plenty of them on the 2nd hand market soon at cheap prices. I am not going to rush to get a 3 axis. I find that with careful flying and using software stabilisation in FCPX I can almost replicate the stability of the 3rd axis now.

I will probably hold off until a huge update is made to the Phantom platform itself, then buy a new one.

One thing you will be able to do though is get footage with the horizon banking which none of the gimbal users can. People are so used to seeing the horizon bank from films and real aircraft footage that I believe they are more comfortable with it. The way the horizon remains level with the gimbal is not natural. I would love a switch where you could turn roll control on or off in a bank.

Looks like you will need to hone your ATTI flying skills. Let the quad drift in ATTI mode and you should still get some great shots.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    I have no experience of that mount but it will be interesting to compare the quality of the video regarding stability compared to a Vision without 2 axis gimbal.

I reckon 2d gimbals will really come down in price now and there will be plenty of them on the 2nd hand market soon at cheap prices. I am not going to rush to get a 3 axis. I find that with careful flying and using software stabilisation in FCPX I can almost replicate the stability of the 3rd axis now.

I will probably hold off until a huge update is made to the Phantom platform itself, then buy a new one.

One thing you will be able to do though is get footage with the horizon banking which none of the gimbal users can. People are so used to seeing the horizon bank from films and real aircraft footage that I believe they are more comfortable with it. The way the horizon remains level with the gimbal is not natural. I would love a switch where you could turn roll control on or off in a bank.

Looks like you will need to hone your ATTI flying skills. Let the quad drift in ATTI mode and you should still get some great shots.
    Ever since you mentioned it before on the other forum, I've been doing one full flight in ATTI mode as well as a flight in GPS mode. I think I've got it mostly down but will continue to hone my skills, as I hadn't practiced letting it drift just yet.

Great point on the horizon banking - I hadn't thought about that, nor read about it.

I imagine this weekend will be spent getting familiar with how different it flies with the mount and camera (doubt it will be much) and then honing in on the positioning of the camera. My plan as of now is to bring my laptop with me and go for a few short flights to test the positioning of the camera and then once it's locked in, I will start playing around with various shots.

Thanks for the response, Shrimp!

Fink

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing you will be able to do though is get footage with the horizon banking which none of the gimbal users can.

With an H3-3D, you can
    ;-)
    www.peter-evans-photographer.com
    www.painting-photography-france.com

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Evans View Post
    Welcome aboard Peter. I have heard it does this but have yet to see any video of it in action. I wish my zenmuse could do it on command, it would give much better effect at times.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Shrimpie, that text in my post is in fact a link to a YouTube video showing the H3-3D doing just that. DJI call it 'FPV Mode'

On another matter, as I'm actually here typing, yesterday I started a new thread in this section, firstly saying, "Hello" and then mentioning that I had just published my review of the Dronexpert RX100 mount. I got a message saying that my thread had to be checked by an administrator before it could be published. It hasn't appeared.
    www.peter-evans-photographer.com
    www.painting-photography-france.com

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...yesterday I started a new thread in this section, firstly saying, "Hello" and then mentioning that I had just published my review of the Dronexpert RX100 mount. I got a message saying that my thread had to be checked by an administrator before it could be published. It hasn't appeared.
    Done & Moved to the Dronexpert Forum:
    http://forums.multicopterpilots.com/forum39/

Peter, your contributions to RC Photography are unquestionably helpful to the community and Im sure I speak for everyone here in offering you a warm welcome.

The Admin approval thing is tweak-able and may be tied to early (low) post-counts. I'll discuss with Frank to see if it needs adjustment.

Tom

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I fell foul of a problem that Tom has already highlighted. The links are not showing as links with the usual line underneath. I have no excuse as Tom had already flagged it up. Am I the dummy. I will take a look.

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, gents, here are the first two videos with the $20 fixed camera mount and GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition. No editing done in post aside from GoPro Studio's ProTune "effect".

Don't mind my ugly mug throughout...

Let me know what you think. At first I thought it was really shaky, but then after watching the second video on the big screen with the landing gear much less visible, it doesn't seem too bad at all. I was debating adding a thin piece of felt or something between the shell of the Phantom and the mounting plate, but after talking with a few people (Shrimp included), I'm not sure that's going to do much for me and may actually make it worse.

Looking forward to other opinions!

Fink
    Last edited by Fink; 04-20-14 at 07:05 AM.

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that demo is amazing.

That camera is coping with the ground detail much better than I thought it would. FPV mode adds a whole new dimension to aerial footage. I wish my Zenmuse had that function.

11. #11 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fink

I think the fixed camera does much better than I thought it would do. In my opinion it looks better when its moving rather than in the hover. Was that filmed in ATTI mode. I reckon you will have to exploit that to the full to iron out the micro shakes caused by the GPS constantly correcting things. Its never going to beat a gimbal but that does not mean you can't get great shots with it through good technique.

The only thing you need to do now is get an editor and cut out the bad bits

12. #12 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fink

I think the fixed camera does much better than I thought it would do. In my opinion it looks better when its moving rather than in the hover. Was that filmed in ATTI mode. I reckon you will have to exploit that to the full to iron out the micro shakes caused by the GPS constantly correcting things. Its never going to beat a gimbal but that does not mean you can't get great shots with it through good technique.

The only thing you need to do now is get an editor and cut out the bad bits
    Thanks, Shrimp!

I started messing with cutting out the bad bits and the messing around I did, but I wanted to get these up quickly to see what people thought of the shakes.

Now that I know this is pretty much as good as I will get with a fixed mount, I will try to take some more steady shots and play around with ATTI mode. The majority of those videos were shot in GPS mode as it was a pretty windy day and in this particular spot, it can get rather gusty - likely because of the river that opens up to a lake nearby. I really want to fly it out over the water and get some shots of that, but I'm not to that point yet - still freaked about getting this thing close to water.

Fink

13. #13 Top |
    Uses Prop guards
    Post Thanks / Like
    This video should help too.
    http://youtu.be/VVpgiHPMoTs

14. #14 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a brilliant find Ozzy. I will add that video into the video training room as well. What they say about bolting the camera direct to the quad rings true to me. Its what everyone does if they wish to film in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyguy View Post
    This video should help too.
    http://youtu.be/VVpgiHPMoTs