1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+

It's unofficially official! Based on leaked videos & snaps DJI will introduce the "Phantom 2 Vision+" at NAB next week. They've removed the wifi electronics from inside the camera to flatten & install it above the suspension mount. Obviously this significantly lightens the size & load on the 3-axis gimbal which in-turn reduces the power/size/weight of the gimbal armatures & motors and that in-turn lightens the load on the battery which helps maintain Vision's unbroken reputation of roughly 25-minutes flight-time (YMMV) and all for USD$1300.

So far all we know about the camera is that it shoots 1080 60p and is also the FPV cam like the original Vision. From the looks it likely retains the same sized sensor but appears to have a larger (and hopefully brighter & sharper) lens to overcome some of the flatfield focus issues some of the original Vision's suffered. (BTW if you have that problem it's DIY correctable). And if you're wondering whether you'll be able to swap out cameras using the gimbal, that would appear to be a "not really" as it seems Vision+ maintains the tradition of being an RTF machine that any novice can fly. Of course DJI offers other higher-end solutions w/FPV for those who need that capability.

The camera's function button, LED indicator, and microSD slot have also been moved to the upper suspension mount. And speaking of suspension mount, remember all those roll-away cameras that separated from the mount because their rubber shock mounts popped loose? It looks like DJI may have built in keepers to help prevent that from happening too easily as there now appears to be some extra hardware inside the lil' rubber dubbers, but we'll have to wait 'n see.

The NAB opens Monday so it won't be long before all the details are out.

Here's CNET's first look:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1m...-2-vision_tech

EDIT 04/07:
    1st time flyer's P2V+ video (uhm, plz don't fly too close to stuff & people like he did):

Avail in full-res here: http://youtu.be/fuGvMb89hig

2. #2 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy do I hope this is for real. It's what I've been waiting for!

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, it's real!

Whatever you do, don't buy it on Amazon right now. The $1,999 ad is just a placeholder. Either buy direct from DJI, which is probably what I would do, or look for it from an Authorized Reseller.

If you're not aware of the updates to the firmware, though, be sure to acquaint yourself. Some pretty significant changes, which for those folks that rely on these crafts for their livelihood (aerial photography), could be detrimental depending on locale.

Fink

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

NAB PreShow Press Meets over... It's Real!

DJI P2V+ Logo.png

image.jpg image.jpg

The 4/04 NAB PreShow Press Meetings are over... It's Official & It's Real!

DJI 5200mAh LiPo Battery Weight (Battery & Propellers Included): 1242g
    Hover Accuracy (Ready To Fly) Vertical: 0.8m; Horizontal: 2.5m
    Max Yaw Angular Velocity: 200/s
    Max Tiltable Angle: 35
    Max Ascent Speed: 6m/s; Max Descent Speed: 3m/s
    Max Flight Speed: 15m/s (Not Recommended)
    Diagonal Motor-Motor Distance: 350mm
    Gimbal Working Current: Static : 750mA; Dynamic : 900mA
    Control Accuracy: 0.03
    Controllable Range Pitch: -90-0
    Maximum Angular Speed Pitch: 90/s
    Camera Operating Environment Temperature: 0℃-40℃
    Sensor Size: 1/2.3"
    Effective Pixels: 14 Megapixels
    Resolution: 43843288
    HD Recording: 1080p30
    Recording FOV: 110 / 85
    Remote Controller Operating Frequency: 5.728 GHz-5.85 GHz
    Communication Distance (Open Area): CE Compliance: 400m; FCC Compliance: 800m
    Receiver Sensitivity (1%PER): -93dBm
    Transmitter Power: CE Compliance: 25mW; FCC Compliance: 100mW
    Working Voltage: 80 mA@6V
    Battery: 4 AA Batteries
    Range Extender Operating Frequency: 2412-2462MHz
    Communication Distance (Open Area): 500-700m
    Transmitter Power: 20dBm
    Power Consumption: 2W

DJI P2V+ Gimbal Assy.jpg

Nothing mentioned about the lens so we'll have to wait and see, but remember we spotted something shiny in the rubber dubbers?

image.jpg

"DJI Anti-Drop Kit"

There you go!

Click Here for the full P2V+ User Manual

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    DJI have a few demo videos of the Vision + performance on their website now. I just watched this one

I am sorry to say but I am a little disappointed with the camera. This is the flagship video and there seems to be similar problems with pixilation and the darn flicker you get from the propellers whenever its facing into the sun. I would have loved to have seen a little hood on that thing to prevent that.

On the positive side the stability looks very good indeed and I think the machine is visually appealing. Several giant steps forward in this release but my gut feeling on looking at just that video is that people may still not be happy with the camera.

Now the big signal I am looking for is will they release the new gimbal and camera for current Vision users to upgrade their craft? If they do then good for them and it will generate much needed goodwill from the community. If they don't and the only way to upgrade is to buy a new rig then that will confirm my initial decision to switch to a P2 for a camera upgrade path as correct.

Surely they will release and upgrade pack for Version 1 ?
    Last edited by Shrimpfarmer; 04-07-14 at 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    DJI have a few demo videos of the Vision + performance on their website now. I just watched this one

I am sorry to say but I am a little disappointed with the camera. This is the flagship video and there seems to be similar problems with pixilation and the darn flicker you get from the propellers whenever its facing into the sun. I would have loved to have seen a little hood on that thing to prevent that.

On the positive side the stability looks very good indeed and I think the machine is visually appealing. Several giant steps forward in this release but my gut feeling on looking at just that video is that people may still not be happy with the camera.

Now the big signal I am looking for is will they release the new gimbal and camera for current Vision users to upgrade their craft? If they do then good for them and it will generate much needed goodwill from the community. If they don't and the only way to upgrade is to buy a new rig then that will confirm my initial decision to switch to a P2 for a camera upgrade path as correct.

Surely they will release and upgrade pack for Version 1 ?
    Great points!

I would indeed be curious to see what they'd want for the camera/gimbal combo alone, recognizing that those of us that choose to put it on our P2s would not be able to use the inherent FPV capabilities, hoping for a small reduction in price with that in mind.

Fink

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shrimpfarmer. I have a Phantom 2 Vision+ on order and am wondering if I should have gone the route you did with the Phantom 2 plus options. Other than an Ipad and android phone I plan to use for FPV, I have no other RC equipment. I was thinking a setup like yours would run closer to 2K US$ and I was liking the idea of having a learner system as fully featured as the Vision + for $1300. Just so you don't think I'm completely crazy calling that a "learner system", it was researching flight SIMS to practice on that brought me here. I like the 3DR Y-6 but to add all the features for photography and FPV it would be over $2k also and I'm not prepared to go there just yet.

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to chip in if I may... The gimbal is the weakest part of any system. There have already been beginners reporting relatively minor crashes that would not have troubled a Vision or a non-gimballed P2 that have broken the Vision+ gimbal. "Unexpected landings" can happen to the best of us in the early days so although the machine is straightforward to fly don't rush to do anything fancy too quickly and take your time to learn to fly it first before worryng to much about capturing amazing videos.

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you have made a mistake at all. The new Vision + is a great entry system and I am sure you will enjoy it. My only concern about that rig though is longevity. There will be no upgrade path other than buying a whole new Phantom when the time comes. Maybe 6 months from now.

I do love my P2 but its not as quick to get up and flying as it is with a Vision.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok I hear a lot about vision 2 + cameras breaking and they cant be bought anywhere as dji have not supplied spare parts to any wholesalers yet
    has anyone got any info on this
    pete
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

11. #11 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to see iDrone back - had heard on the grapevine he had departed to pastures new. Now maybe he can reinvigorate the forum with his technical know-how !
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline