1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Repaired Failed Motor

The other evening a few minutes after liftoff I noticed an unusual sound. I knew it had to be one of the rotor motors. I also knew the best thing to do was to land asap before it dropped from the sky. As soon as it landed I grabbed ahold of each motor one by one to inspect them. Sure enough I came to one that had play in it where as the others did not. I took it the house and tore it down fully so as I could the one in question better. After looking things over I could that the center rod had slid out of the motor. It had a clip on the end of it. I then noticed the other end was to have a set screw that requires a 1.5mm allen wrench. Most the other allen's were 2.0. I loosened the set screw and slid the rod back place after I pulled the motor apart. After getting everything back to 100% the motor seemed to be ok with no issues. I forgot to mention I did place a small drop of thread lock. And I did order a new motor on a just in case basis.

*So now I will include a 1.5mm allen wrench in the P2V tool kit I keep with me.

(3).jpg(8).jpg(5).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have not touched my motors yet but thanks to your heads up at least I will know what to expect.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not have believed it, but I'm still flying with that motor.

4. #4 Top |
    Prop Installer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for relaying what you found when you looked inside the P2. I have had the Phantom Vision and the P2, H3-2d, Hero set up and both had malfunctions. The Vision had both a camera problem (purple kites and center not focused) as well as a defective wifi extender. The P2 "dropped from the sky" without an explanation and some have responded that they think that there was some sort of bad solder/connection between the battery and the motors. What you found could possibly explain what was wrong with my P2. I did not open up the P2 before I returned it (and I returned the P2V as well). I am working on getting back my courage to try again as I wait for the delivery of a P2V+. I understand that the camera will not afford me the quality of the Hero 3+ but I am reverting back to the more integrated package hoping that there may be a few less variables to "go bad" (i.e. iosd mini, fpv,etc) and to be able to utilize the iPhone APP for FPV and for being able to capture both stills and video. I REALLY want to be successful with video production with the aerial dimension and probably crazy to once again go with the Phantom-based system since quality control (bad solder joints, loose connections,etc) apparently is not DJI's strength. I was able to start to get the hang of flying the P2 and am watching many videos for ideas for flying techniques that engage the viewer but do not overpower the viewer with the "gee whiz wow" factor of a "flying camera". If I could trust the P2's technical aspects it would be much more fun to be able to focus (no pun intended...ho!) on the photography.

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fingers crossed you have a better experience with the new one. From what I have seen so far on the new camera it looks a lot better to me than the original. Thats strange as I have read experienced photographers pronounce that its the same camera? Maybe its the gimbal that helps. Whilst I will stick with my P2 I do have to concede that the Vision is much swifter to get into the air. I have to bolt on antenna, fix sun shields, attach a battery to power the monitor before I can take off.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.