1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

ipad ground station

iPad Ground Station for Vision+Plus...Everything I was looking for! The only thing it lacks is better tutorials for real life scenarios. But whatever. I will explain a very important tip that no one tells you, of course. After Installation and making sure that I downloaded the assistant software for both the iOS Bluetooth AND the assistant for the Phantom 2 - I "Upgraded" all of the firmware and it all worked effortlessly. There is a red LED Light on the Bluetooth transmitter that will turn Green once the updates have been installed. At that point, you just download the App to a Bluetooth 4.0 enabled iPad. (I had to buy a new iPad, my iPad2 was outdated for this Bluetooth technology). I'm now getting automated flights that range in the 4-5 miles Round Trip. I could go longer but don't see the point. The waypoints are downloaded into the receiver from the iPad, and then the phantom flies the coordinates. It is that simple. You actually become disconnected from the quad immediately after it takes course. All of the fears and anxieties go right out the window for me. Before I installed this ground station I was getting in about 20 to 30 minutes of flight time before I was either stressed or bored. Now I will fly a set of waypoints I created, over and over, tweaking it to get it just right - and then saving it. For the last month I have been getting in two - three hours of flights per day. What a difference this made for me! Using 5 batteries a day now. Important and Quick Tip*** Always set a "Homing" point directly above your head. When the phantom sets course it will continue to run the course until it either receives new data, or runs out of battery life. If you lose contact and sight with the phantom, or even have a iPad or transmitter battery failure - it will always return to the point above your head at some point in its route. If you have a failure and lose power to the ipad or receiver, It will not return to the original coordinates it normally uses to return when it becomes disconnected, nor will it have a "Return Home" function.. Because it downloads the coordinates you set on the waypoints, it becomes disconnected form the controller and therefore you will not be able to place it in a "Fail" or "Return to Home Mode" if it breaks signal from the iPad. But it WILL ALWAYS return to the waypoints you set. At which point you can reconnect with it using the main controller and running through a mode setting they explain in the tutorials.

(*Note-Member had trouble posting and asked to have it posted. Does not belong to Me.)

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not use waypoint flying in the app, which includes auto take-off and landing too - and costs exactly zero extra and doesn't require adding heavier hardware to the Vision+? Just curious...

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull_Up View Post
    Why not use waypoint flying in the app, which includes auto take-off and landing too - and costs exactly zero extra and doesn't require adding heavier hardware to the Vision+? Just curious...
    That's probably how I would do it also.