Thread: Nasty Neighbors

1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Nasty Neighbors

It seems like since I have been going through some difficult times here lately with my quads, that I have so much to share.

2-3 weeks ago we had at least 10 days of super awesome weather. That meant the neighbors would have their house windows open night and day allowing them to hear the outside noises. So that means they're able to here me fly at different hours.

One evening around dusk I'm behind my house flying and testing the distance limits I had set. All of a sudden I hear this person, a man, in which I was unfamiliar with. I later learn this guys yard almost connects to mine and I didn't even know of him. Anyway, he starts saying crazy stuff about recording video because he feels like, blah blah. I hover my copter and look over and see this guy out front of my house on the side walk standing with a camcorder up to his face. In no time his wife appears and the two of them begin going off about how I was invading their privacy, and that I could see into their home with my copter. This goes on for 4-5 minutes until I had enough and sat my controller on the ground and boldly told them to leave my yard before things get ugly. The guy had mentioned getting his gun and shooting my copter down the next time he sees it fly over their house. I thought it was best to call the law and let them handle things. Turns out they lied and said they hadn't left their house all evening. Next evening they were yelling out stupid stuff from their backyard. I just ignored all of it and it seems now to have died off. But that my be due to we're now having rotten weather with temps  in the 90's.

These people are young in their 20's. They have moved into a neighborhood where there is never any kind of issues like this.

Anyway, I feel like these type of things are a result of people referring to our copters as drones. They have a perception that what we fly is used for spying and other negative things. The media is the worse for using the drone name, and I honestly don't see things improving with how the public views our hobby.

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes Frank your right the same thing here in Australia, I was flying in a large sporting field and some fool from a house that borders it came out telling me to pi** off as I was videoing his family in his backyard I was at least 200 metres from his fence and only 50 metres high but the media has tagged everything as drones I don't know where it will end
    pete
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mclachlan View Post
    yes Frank your right the same thing here in Australia, I was flying in a large sporting field and some fool from a house that borders it came out telling me to pi** off as I was videoing his family in his backyard I was at least 200 metres from his fence and only 50 metres high but the media has tagged everything as drones I don't know where it will end
    pete
    Yeah I kind of have a hard time with it when I either read or hear it. I have attempted to mention it at different times even to the point where I registered on a site just to say my piece on the referring of drones.

I had a guy come up to me the last time I was at a historical place before I could even fly. He said he had not seen one of them in the past 11 years when he served in the desert storm war. He said his troop used them daily to see the enemy, and said they generally got shot down each time they used one. He said back then they were very expensive. I'm guessing the sound of them is what gave them away.

4. #4 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read somewhere of a guy with the same problem. However-- what he did was to arrange a demo, in GPS/HL, and showed the guy how it worked and to demonstrate that footage of an intrusive nature would be difficult to get.

He then handed the controller to the complainer. Rules had been established that if the owner snatched the Tx back, it was not an aggressive action.

Seems the upshot was a neighbour with a new Phantom!

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone should tell them how poor the cameras are on this generation of phantoms .....
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    i got to figure out how i can attach another servo so i can make a release hook so i can drop flour bombs on my neighbour just to have fun he flys his electric plane over my yard and drops little parcels every now and then , i told him to stop it unless it contains little bottles of rum lol
    pete
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mclachlan View Post
    i got to figure out how i can attach another servo so i can make a release hook so i can drop flour bombs on my neighbour just to have fun he flys his electric plane over my yard and drops little parcels every now and then , i told him to stop it unless it contains little bottles of rum lol<br>
    pete
    I wonder if the channel 7 that we used for controlling the gimbal can be programmed as a remote drop switch?

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adams View Post
    I wonder if the channel 7 that we used for controlling the gimbal can be programmed as a remote drop switch?
    Does not sound very practical - better to use a cheap separate tx maybe
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline