Thread: Is there much fun in just flying a quad?

1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there much fun in just flying a quad?

When I had my nitro helicopter I used to love flying it. I had no interest in flashy 3D manoeuvres, my passion was scale flying, making the model behave as a real helicopter would be flown. There was huge replay value in that as you could always make it look more realistic with practice. I messed around with cameras on it but the real pleasure was the flying.

Roll forward a few years and I have a P2 quad. Great for filming but its about as much fun to fly as a cardboard box. It flys pretty much the same as well. Now I suppose I could flick it to manual for more of a challenge but the dam thing is not particularly good looking in the air.

Those were the days. The only downside was it could cut your head off. If I were to do it again I would buy electric now though
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure it was just a few years ago? You look younger in the video. Cool video though!
    I'm not really sure what to say to anyone that is, or has become burnt out on flying.

If I were a betting man, I would lean more in the direction that you are not enjoy flying because you are afraid of losing your quadcopter. I remember earlier this season when I had went around 10 days waiting on the weather to become decent enough to go somewhere other then my backyard to fly. If it wasn't raining, it would be too windy. And then it finally came together with a perfect day on hand for me to drive else where. When I got to the destination I had at the top of my list, I became hesitant to get out of the vehicle. As I remember it, I was looking for reasons why I should leave and go back home. I finally get out and begin setting up. I look around and that everyone is looking at me as if I had a major weapon in the back of my Tahoe.

Anyway, the mission turned out to be a waste of time. I could not get the compass to calibrate. I returned home and sure enough, no problems.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    With some of the missions I have sent my quad on recently I can assure you I am not afraid of losing it. Every time it takes off I consider that it may be its last flight and thats the last I think of it. If its lost its lost. No to be honest I have never enjoyed flying it like I did my helicopter. My quad has had well over 100 flights now so I have had my money's worth out of it. It still flys very nice, original set of blades, never tipped over or crashed.

It will fly again no doubt once I take it to a new location. I have seen others who have expressed similar thoughts.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a helicopter that I bought a couple years before my quadcopter and I just never took to it. Every time I attempted to fly it I had to work on it. I gathered that was all part of the hobby and lost interest without ever flying any longer then 50-60 seconds. Then the quadcopter came along when I was starting to do videos again. I saw footage included in someones video I was watching that parts of it was from a quadcopter with a gopro. I was hooked instantly. Then the fly away took it, and because I felt like I have so much I'd like to that I have yet to do, I ordered a replacement and glad I did.

5. #5 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    That bit of machinery makes my F450 look like pooh.

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great video Shrimpy - not sure if I am allowed to comment on here but did you edit it recently or have you been a budding film maker since those days ?

Also built a nitro Heli the same size as yours (cannot remember the scale). Fired it up in the back garden (props off) and it scared me half to death ! Never did get around to fly it so then got an electric T-rex which was great fun so went on to to build a larger one (also electric). There was no danger of flyaways in those days - the danger was the air/ground interface which got expensive.

Like you I never fear a flyaway - what will be, will be. I am a believer in not tinkering with any settings and apart from the occasional compass calibration mine has had around 75 perfect flights straight out of the box. They do get a bit boring, there are only so many low level, high speed fly pasts you can do. The big disappointment for me is the camera on the Vision. I am waiting for a successful way to mount (and control) a quality point & shoot and then I think I will get involved again. (am currently debating a hex build).
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have always liked making movies and no thats not a re-edit. I just set the camera on a tripod and pressed record.

I paid a guy called Paul Heckles to train me to fly it and I am really glad I did. He runs a flight school near Swindon. I built it and he checked my build. Then he trained me on a buddy box to fly it. The most important thing he taught me was what to do during a hot start. Thats when the engine goes to full throttle whilst your starting it. he trained me how to place the flight box in between the tail rotor and me so that the tail would not swing into my leg and also how not to panick but to just keep a tight grip on the blades. If you do that the clutch burns out in a second and they don't spin up. People who don't know the drill try to let go and step away but they spin up so fast they can hit you. Eventually I did suffer a hot start and that training saved me. I gave up the hobby though as they are dangerous, messy, noisy and you can't fly them just anywhere. The Phantom changed all that.

Not sure I will get another quad. I will fly mine until it dies and then probably take a break and see what happens in the market. My biggest concern is public reaction to quads and how that will develop. So far I have been lucky. Only had one incident where someone who was pissed threw a stone at it. Don't know if anyone else has seen that video where the woman on a beach attacks a quad pilot as she thinks he is filming kids. Now thats a worry, people do seem to be getting more and more concerned about privacy. We know our cameras makes them look like dots but they don't and of course with a Gopro there is no easy way to show them.

I am hoping they will become accepted over time and that the novelty factor will die down. Today there is now a high chance you could meet another pilot flying at the same location, its already happened to me. I predict the skies will fill and then they will clear again, especially when aerial video and pictures become as common as selfies are today. I don't reckon many will bother then.

Thats me rambling

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite glad I did not fly mine as I am sure I would have jumped away ! You are right about the noise and the amount of exhaust gases coming out of yours was amazing. Electric is certainly cleaner but somehow does not have the raw power feel of an internal combustion engine.
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can heartily recommend building something like an F450. For one you can trick it out as little or as much as you like. You will need to adjust things like centre of gravity for best performance, experiment with different battery and motor setups, tweak the many more settings available in a full-blown NAZA V2... or perhaps even install a different flight controller altogether? I intend to use mine (whilst it's not carrying any camera or gimbal equipment) to become proficient at full manual flying with an aircraft of this size just for the challenge. At 25 a go for a 4S battery that gives me 14 minutes flight time you can get some good practice time in for the price of one P2 smart battery.

However if you use your quads as a flying tripod and your helo's were all about scale flying then there's nothing scale about hooning any quad around a field. One of these might provide some aerial interest as a birthday present idea for you from Mrs Shrimpy... http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...anCode=PKZ6350

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shrimpy, I'm going to begin painting my new vPlus maybe with in the week. If you are up for it, maybe we cab do a mini challenge with one another of who's looks the best?

Btw, I do want to tip my hat to you on still flying with the original props. That to me is remarkable.

11. #11 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to disappoint Frank but other than put the decals onto my quad that came with it it is totally stock. I have done nothing to it, not a tweak nada. If it aint brok don't touch it is my motto.

12. #12 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was just trying to bring some excitement back in there is all.....

13. #13 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Afraid it is going to take more than a 'paint off' to bring in excitement - the forum needs numbers, there must be a way .....

14. #14 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    no but think of what else you would be doing at least your out in the sunlight and fresh air getting a little bit of exercise and not annoying the wife
    pete
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

15. #15 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been thinking the same recently. Only owned my vision+ since Sep 2014, Done about 140 flights (each battery being a flight) would go every day, even multiple times as soon as I could charge up my 2x batteries again.. but yeah getting abit bored now.. Not into photography.. My main problem is I do go to the same park over and over so I am trying to change that up abit.. Also want to play around with pix4d.. Actually been having more fun modding it recently still good fun.. but yeah... Some good folks around so I'm sure I'll stay motivated.