Thread: P2 Gains

1. #1 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like

P2 Gains

Was talking to Mikerbiker about this on the new members page. Rolled it here where it might be of use to others.

I don't have a P2, so all this is unconfirmed.

Mikes problem is the quick response in correction- messing his video footage. I wondered whether softening the gains may help.

Did a bit of research;
    It would seem the P2 is shipped with 120 120 120 120 220 220. Those 220s seem mighty high.

But if you hit the default button they change to 125 125 100 100 125 125. Now that would be a lot softer

I repeat- this is not definitive nor confirmed. Can anyone add to this please.

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, unable to even check my gains as I was stupid enough to go on a trip without my assistant software loaded and the cable I would be surprised if the stock gains on the P2 are any different to the Vision series. I have never altered mine from the stock setting.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

3. #3 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the intro thread seems to have got a wee bit hijacked!

Controlled yaw is, I guess, a matter of practice and stick time. I'm on a 2D gimbal, and have noticed that in both GPS and ATTI modes if I fly straight ahead with no left stick inputs, the alignment twitches. In GPS I can understand that it's trying to maintain a heading, so if wind pushes it off it will auto correct. I thought ATTI only maintained levels and altitude. What I'm seeing suggests it also tries to maintain heading, giving me the same little twitches to correct for wind drift. Maybe softening gains will smooth this out?

The 3D is DJI's solution I suppose, but having only just got one of the last of the 2D gimbals, I really don't want to butcher my P2 and go to the expense of a 3D (especially as they seem to have troubles of their own) if I can sort it out by better flying?

Time to go fully manual maybe?
    Flying a P2 2.4GHz with Zenmuse H3-2D, Hero3+ Black, Fatshark 250mW, Black Pearl Diversity, Stock antennas so far.

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't go fully manual, you will have to fly it constantly like a helicopter, then you won't be able to relax and frame your image. The twitching is a pain but if you look at my posts on how to stabilise your video they can be almost eliminated. Several people have asked me what I think of the H3-3D gimbal and they are always surprised when I tell them I don't have one. Check out the photolab training room.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

5. #5 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    This 'twitch' in heading. Sounds like some sort of compass controlled correction. Random thoughts- are you in HL or CL?

Or maybe it's just a touch of this 'toilet bowl' thing. I can't recall the fix on a Phantom.

6. #6 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice Shrimpfarmer. Stabilisation in software helps it, and my next test will be stepping up to 2.7k to give room for stabilisation and cropping without dropping final image quality. Until I watched your how to videos I was expecting to get raw output as smooth as that! I'd still like to get it as right as possible in camera - my still photography background I guess.
    I also suspect I'll get smoother panning by flying it round corners with a mixture of yaw and pitch in ATTI, rather than sitting in a GPS hover and gently and sloooowly moving the yaw control. lots to test and learn!

Discv I've had IOC off so far (except the last time out when I lost VLOS and orientation and went to HL to get it back). I suspect its as you say, compass auto heading corrections, even in ATTI, but if anyone else has had the same I'd like reassurance its not just me. PS I'm still flying v 1.08 firmware as I like being able to bring it down fast (with movement to avoid VRS, I had that once and learned!).

7. #7 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm reassured you get that twitch too- wouldn't have guessed from the films you've put up

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am still using 1.08 and I am sticking with it. The films I made in the Lake District recently would have been impossible to shoot had my quad been crippled by the 2m per second descent limit. I was coming down from the summits at 5m per second at a high forward speed and it was as smooth as can be. I would have run out of power had I not been able to do that.

The only niggle I have is that 1.08 autolands your quad if it has less than 6 satellites. I have not experienced this yet and I would love to hear from anyone who has experience of this. Can you override the landing?