1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand New Phantom 2 Vision

I lost my P2V earlier in the week due to a Fly-away, and had to purchase a new unit. And I'm happy to say I stayed loyal to the Phantom 2 Vision. Shrimpy, it has the v1.08 software. I was real happy to see that especially after dealer said it would have whatever software was most recent at the time of being boxed at factory.

Can't believe how much less noise the new makes compared to my old one.

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I waited as long as I possibly could to hear from shrimpy about the v1.08 and remaining at that level. After running into a few things I was sure the upgrade would take care of, I ended up moving up the upgrade ladder. Sorry shrimpy!. I actually sat looking back and forth from the P2V to the laptop thinking how shrimpy, 'even he doesn't know I have this yet', is going to be on me if I tap this button.

The 1st time flying the copter I was surprised how much quieter it was. This also matched the same on the camera being quiet. After launching it up and moving around it seem to fly smoothly and not so snappy. At this point I was questioning if would have enough to hold up in windy weather. Now I'm talking about the windy weather you would fly in, like under 10-12mph.

Ok so after flying a few times I ran across things I hadn't experienced in along time since I updated my other copter when the updates became available. The 1st thing was I could not keep a wifi connection. I had to rename the Range Extender and that took care of it. My next problem for me was that I could tell the copter was losing connections way too soon. I had already made the CE/FAA remote controller adjustment, but it acted as though I hadn't. After some investigation, I founf there are two locations this adjustment can be set from. One on the RC that I already mentioned, and the other from the Assistant software where it can be done by selection. Btw, it does state that if one was set at CE and the other was at Faa that the system would go by default and set it at Faa. Ok at this point distance did improve, but not to the level in which I knew was in the copter. Only thing is, that performance gain happens the upgrade process. So this was the hardcore issue for me that had me on the fence. Should I stay in v1.08 land, or go to the head ache world? I think had I talked with shrimpy by now he may have talked me into staying at v1.08 a little longer.

So I made the move and loaded to v3.04. I haven't checked if I'm fully updated or just to the level you go with the 3.0 assistant. Once loaded, I changed the settings to where I had them on my old copter. I noticed the Gain settings were all 120 and 200 which was perfect, and was what the v1.08 had. No need for any change there. I go and launch it up to 60-70ft like I always do as my pre-test for the compass alignment, and right away I see it is searching for gps position lock a lot. So I set it down and set the compass. Back up for another pre-test and it still was not what it should be. So I take it in and calibrate the IMU, and another compass calibration. Much better! It's not flawless, but it is the best I have seen on a v3.04 upgrade. The reception improved as I thought it would.

Now since I have not received the gps tracker I will have installed, and never go through what I just did my loosing the copter and unable to find it, I had to make sure the Distance Limit cylinder was in working order. I set the distance limit to 500ft and began testing. It passed with flying colors! When you watch this in person, it's like the copter flies into a rubber wall. The 1st test were all in gps mode, and I followed those up with atti mode which had the same results.

It's obvious to me that my new copter has a much better personality then the one that was lost. This flies so much nicer with the v3.04 software, and because of that I would not have any problem recommending a pilot to upgrade their copter to the most recent software. For me the added features out weigh everything else, especially the limit settings.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Except of course your now stuck with a very slow descent rate. Whilst filming in the Lake District I could not have got the shots of the higher fells if my quad had that restriction. I would have run out of power before I was able to recover it. No, 1.08 for me thanks, I don't need the extra hand holding DJI has thrown into its firmware and I always follow a mantra of if its not broken don't fix it. Mine fly's well and always has done. Didn't realise you were waiting for a response from me.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was wanting to talk in comparison with you, in the way of how each flew since we were at the time on the same page. I'm going to play dumb here, but I may have version 1 in my dji file collection. I'll have to double check by loading files in the same sequence as I did today except pay more attention before knowing for sure.

I do know for a fact that I'm current at v1.08 and my descents are 10+mph.