Hybrid View

1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Will You Help Me

Changing the thread title later on is not a problem once I/we with your help figure out what most likely happened. Before I go on I need to point out that I completely lost my Phantom 2 Vision. Most that have been around awhile will say that the Phantom 2 Vision is DJI's flagship model in the Phantom series. Most of us that has made into our 20's knows what Flagship means. If you're reading this a don't know it means it's the best of the best of what a company makes in a particular model line.

Ok enough on that. I lost my Phantom 2 Vision. I need and want to figure 'why' it got lost. One thing is for sure, and that is it was not lost due to negligence on my part. My Phantom 2 Vision was in stock factory setting outside of the top cover was painted, and the landing gear. No aftermarket anything.

The day before my loss I had spent a lot of time test-flying multiple changes in the Gain Settings. The next morning I wanted to see if the settings I had entered, (which were very close to original default settings) had any effect in the higher altitude test I had been working on prior to doing the work on Gain.

In this test the lost connection came on for 2 seconds and then back to normal. About 15-20 seconds later the lost connection flashed, and then the video broke up and then back to normal. I then adjust the gimbal to swing down to that full limit. Before
    getting my hand back it went to a lost connection only screen and stayed there. Around 2 minutes went by and I shut the controller off to put it in Return To Home mode. I watched the screen expecting to see the video come back after getting a lower altitude, but it didn't. I then thought I heard something around the front side of my two story house. Nothing was coming up on display so something told me to look at the 'Find My Phantom 2 Vision' feature on the app. And it was showing a spot which would be right around where my Distance Limit was set which was 1250ft. At this point each counting second was telling me this was not good. So I jumped my Tahoe and drove to the spot which when I got there was in a corn field and the plants were only 4 inches in height.

The rest of this day consist of looking in the obvious spots with no luck. As always this test was while in GPS mode. Now comes the part where I need your help. Based on what you have read, what should have taken place. And what do you think possibly took place? I do need to mention there was an "occasional" 7-10mph wind gust during this tragedy.

My goal is to be able to look at google earth and put together some kind of plan where to search. I personally think what took place is a carbon copy of what I had experienced not long ago when I posted on the site about 60ft not being high enough. The only main difference is the distance limit was set much much closer to home.

2. #2 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bad news Frank. Sorry to here it.

Just disjointed thoughts- nothing definitive;

Can't see that gains could have much to do with this. You say they were near to 'as fitted'- those were not strong winds.

I get the impression that you did not have LOS. Whatever blocked the 2.4 video will have certainly blocked the 5.8 control.

I'll have a stab in the dark- it clipped something when ascending in the RTH sequence. And that it is nearer than you think.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very difficult to suggest where to look Frank, once your up high the wind can be blowing in a totally different direction. How high do you think you were when you lost connection? Could be that it ran out of power and dropped like a stone. I would check the weather forecast for that day and see which direction the wind was blowing and what speed. You could then try calculating where it ended up. Sorry to hear about this loss Frank. Hope you get it back.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    LostP2V.jpg

The pic shows from our house in the direction I believe it to have last traveled. Most of last search was in area beyond the area in red at the top.

5. #5 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Following your rescue mission with interest. Tell me- on the P2V, how are you establishing the last GPS position? Is it fitted with a tracker system or data logger?

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    The DJI app records the last gps position on every flight. You find this in the app setting called 'Find My Phantom 2 Vision'. It displays the location on what looks like a google map. Now, what you don't know is the altitude when that is recorded. Or at least they don't display that info anyhow.

In the video below I wanted to show the current state the copter in question looked like during it's descent.

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pic below is close to the last video image I saw before losing connect. It is also close in altitude as well. I predict the altitude was around 1000ft at the time connection was lost. I just learned early this morning that depending on which firmware you have loaded(Shrimpy DO NOT update your P2V!) will determine the speed in which your P2V descends. On the lost P2V I had it made somewhat. In RTH (Return To Home) at say 1500ft it would descend at 13.5mph, then once it reached around 900ft it would slow to 11mph, 500ft 6mph, and continue dropping speed in that manner the closer it got to 60ft. Now if I used the Stick to manually lower altitude, it didn't matter what the height was, it would lower at the same 3.1-3.9mph. So with that P2V I used the RTF feature each during descent unless it was under 200ft. My new P2V descends at 3.1mph regardless if it's in RTF or manually. And that sucks! However, I found out the newest firmware has them in the 2mph range! I guarantee you as I write this I will get the aftermarket involved to overcome a 2mph descent should I ever get stuck in a situation with firmware with those numbers. I'm not so sure I wont anyhow with this stupid 3.1mph I now have.

MCP126.jpg