Thread: New Italian Drone Laws

1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

New Italian Drone Laws

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this - mods please move if not - but for anyone planning to bring their quad to Italy for their hols you should be aware that ENAC (the italian CAA or FAA) has introduced new restrictions on what you can fly, where you can fly it and, most importantly, why you fly it.

The law itself is complex and self-contradictory in parts - in others it is simply impossible to comply with. Further, it is still in the process of amendment although it came into force on 30 april.

In a nut-shell, if you are flying purely for your own amusement you can do so VFR-only up to 70m (about 230ft) agl out to a radius of 150m (about 164yards) (or maybe 200m (about 218 yards) depending on which paragraph you choose). FPV is completely forbidden even with a spotter. The normal rules apply as in the UK about subjects being under the direct control of the pilot and not overflying populated areas or gatherings. In particular it is forbidden for hobbyists to overfly beaches and national parks and to fly within 8km (5miles) of airports at any altitude. You will also require proof of third-party insurance cover specifically for your quad. These are usually quite cheap and valid world-wide. As an indication my own policy (the only one currently available in Italy) gives cover up to 3 million euros. Again, the law does not stipulate the amount of cover required, but its the only one I could get so it may be taken as indicative.

For anyone who wants to know more there is a copy of the regs in english on the ENAC site at Enac - Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicles Regulation

For commercial flights (anything not hobby-related, even if not for money), the regulations become exponentially more complex and costly to comply with. I can help anyone who needs it with translations etc. if required. I should point out that I am by no means a lawyer, however.

If you are a member of a rc control/model club they might have links with FIAM, the Italian Federation of AeroModellers which has been very helpful. Their site is at Federazione Italiana Aero Modellismo unfortunately only in italian, but, again, let me know if you need help.

I don't like to be a wet blanket, but things are completely up in the air (pun intended) at the moment and we are all waiting to see what actually happens as time goes on.

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that explanation of the laws in Italy. One day they will sort it out, but what a mess they have made so far.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You Magic Do you know if insurance is necessary. I'm trying to get the last version of Enac with not much luck.I have 16.12.2013 version

4. #4 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks For this information. UAVs are continuously going to increase as the news of "The Epoch Times" or "TechCrunch" there must be a regulations on it to prevent. Government facing trouble with UAVs day by day, so these Law would be great to reduce illegal use of UAVs.

Here is the link of "FAA rules and regulations about UAVs" for US Citizens http://goo.gl/yMUqaN

I hope You will like it.