Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1550ft Straight Up

1. #16 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pete and others, yes I am an admin here, and I'm also open to allow any of you to voice your opinions where I'm concerned, as long as they're not disrespectful. If I'm out of line, I would want to be told all the same.

I'm going to respond to what's been said so far but before I do, I want to mention that since I posted this thread I decided MCP is creating a hidden private area for our pilots to share and discuss things that fall into such subjects as we're beginning to see here. Right now the internet is full of speculation on what is and isn't allowed, who's breaking laws, and who is not, and basically I hope to start a trend that other websites with similar subject matter follow along. I will take precautions to keep all possible intruders out. So, when the powers to be comb this website and not see anything in the public eye, there wont be any reason to place a red flag on us. Or maybe they do know about it, but see that we have went the extra mile to make sure and not publicly promote offensive content, they may just go on their way.

2. #17 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure a hidden secret area is a good idea, it might just have the opposite effect and raise suspicions, 'hello, hello, what is going on here' sort of thing. It would not be beyond the wit of any investigative agency worth their salt to gain access if they wanted to. I can understand the need to keep the overall forum limited to registered users to prevent idiots getting unfettered access to post trash but other than that, an open access stance may be better. After all, this is the ethos that underpins the whole internet.

Saying that, I am a member of a couple of forums that have private areas for frivolous debate unconnected to the main forum raison d'etre but in both cases they are run by organisations who have a commercial/educational reputation to uphold. I can understand that any forum owner may want to limit his or her liability to problems arising from libellous or abusive/illegal posts so maybe there needs to be more prominent disclaimers to protect the forum owner.

And anyway, what has anyone got to hide ?
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

3. #18 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I would not be posting anything that is likely to get me in trouble as I don't want the hassle. I find that peoples reactions to videos always keeps me in check. Even with the best will in the world sometimes its hard to stay legal especially when people suddenly drive up and approach you.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

4. #19 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    i had an instance today that rocked my socks off , i was flying the phantom on the beach with gopro a guy approched me and said he wanted any footage of him on that camera distroyed if i didnt land it and delete the footage he would take legal steps to make it happen , so i did show him what was on it and did delete the small section he was recorded in he was happy i was confused but unsure , so long story cut short went home ph my mate who is a lawyer and asked the question , and boy dont like the answer , if you take a picture with people in the background or a video YOU are supposed to legally get them to give you permission to have that pic or video with them in it , now that pertains to Australian law so what about other countries i have just done the old google seach fellas i think we all should be very careful what and where we video or take pics
    pete
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

5. #20 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a right for members of the public to take photographs in public places in the UK: if you are on a public right of way - footpath, public highway, public pavement, etc you are free to take photographs for personal use (and commercial use, although not relevant here as commercial use of UAS without permission is illegal in the UK) as long as you are not obstructing said highway or doing anything prevented under Anti-Terrorism legislation (usually regarding sensitive areas/buildings, etc). There is nothing to stop you taking photographs of people in public places and using them however you wish, unless your photographing of them becomes harassment - for which a pattern of behaviour has to emerge: so in your example repeatedly passing overhead of that person to get a "better shot" of them might be covered. Also there is no presumption of privacy for anyone in a public place in the UK - hence the large numbers of crime prevention CCTV cameras in towns and cities around the UK.

If someone asks you to stop taking images of them then as a matter of courtesy and manners I personally feel you should comply, but if the images were taken in a public place then they have no right to request that you delete them and you have no requirement to comply - but again if they are upset about it then I would do it, but not at the expense of a whole SD card's worth or a 15 minute clip.

Aerial video complicates the matter because, although there is no right to the airspace above private property, there can be an expectation of privacy on your own land. I don't take video of private dwellings without permission unless it is from a legal height/distance and just happens to be in the shot as I'm passing by/over - that to me is less about the law and more just a bit of decency!

Everything above is my understanding of the legal position in the UK at the time of writing, m'lud.

6. #21 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull_Up View Post
    I don't know if there's a blanket ban on flying general aviation below 500ft in the US but in the UK the rule is to keep 500ft FROM any person, vehicle or structure, not necessarily above. When I was training we regularly got down to about 50ft off the deck above fields to practice forced landings. So whilst I agree with you in principle I don't think having hard limits will stop idiotic flying. I believe you can fly very responsibly at 800ft up, and fly like a reckless lunatic and be a danger to people and property and never get above 150ft.
    Simon, are you sure the bit above about 500' from any person, vehicle or structure is correct ?

I was under the impression it was 50m from structures and 30m from people when taking off and landing .....
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

7. #22 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm talking about the low flying rule for general aviation (light aircraft), sorry for the confusion. My point was that depending on where you fly you can't rely on never encountering full scale traffic under some notional height like 400ft. Much better to keep your quad in sight at all times (distance laterally and vertically will change depending on conditions) and keep a good listening and watching lookout.

8. #23 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull_Up View Post
    I'm talking about the low flying rule for general aviation (light aircraft), sorry for the confusion. My point was that depending on where you fly you can't rely on never encountering full scale traffic under some notional height like 400ft. Much better to keep your quad in sight at all times (distance laterally and vertically will change depending on conditions) and keep a good listening and watching lookout.
    No, it was my mistake, I see now you were referring to f/s aircraft - that is the problrm with speed reading posts. As a matter of interest do you think our 50m rule also applies vertically (so it is ok to overfly a house at 51m) ?

9. #24 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, because it is a distance "from". Unless the house concerned is in a congested area, in which case all bets are off due to the " not over or within 150m" rule.

10. #25 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always fly at a height of 60m if I'm away from my immediate takeoff area and can't see if any people might appear, etc. The overhead shot of the train and bridge and road I did in the windy H3-3D video was from 62m...

11. #26 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suppose you have to be a bit more careful now you have a public persona (not that you were probably reckless before )

Do not want to sound paranoid but I suppose one of the problems of having a Flytrex is that everything is recorded for posterity and could be used as evidence of bad/illegal practice.

The whole issue of safe & responsible flying is going to become a bigger and bigger issue as more people enter our sport. At first, the early adopters were enthusiasts but with all the publicity 'drones' are getting it will not be long before they are a common sight in our skies. There is maybe a need for a catchy slogan such as 'I Fly Safe' (not as boring as that but that kind of idea) and then stickers made which could be attached to aircraft/tx/flightcase/car window etc. If you think there is any mileage in this it could be used as a competition on your channel - prize for the person who comes up with the best slogan.

Just wittering on .....

12. #27 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see the Flytrex as something to help with the opposite issue - if I get my collar felt because they say I was too close to the train in my video, for example, I can point to satellite data that shows I wasn't... (except I haven't fitted a Flytrex to the P2 yet (new version on back-order), so I'd have to learn how to download and read the iOSD Mk 2 data logs, but you get my point!).