Thread: Thoughts on v3.02 Update

1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on v3.02 Update

It wasn't late into the night before I installed the v3.02 update. After installing the software I went to the also released User Manual. I wanted to explore the Auto Pilot features the updates itself was named after. And some how I must have downloaded a corrupt file because I was unable to find anything on it. This was actually the ONLY reason I updated to this version. So I'm not sure what went wrong, but we really do need the ability to go back to prior firmware.

Even though it was dark as dark gets around my area, I still was determined to put my vison in the sky. I went through the usual processes of pre flight expecting to have to do a calibrate on the compass. But no screen change saying I needed to so of coarse I liked that. I went up to around 60+ft altitude and sat for a minute like I always do, cause this is where I watch to see if the copter is doing any wondering. If you don't see any wondering, then your compass is no doubt in great shape and ready for whatever flight plan you had for it. Btw, I was doing this is 30mph wind gust and there should not be a lot of wondering. If you do have the common 5-10ft box pattern of wondering, just set it down and go through the sequence.

So after doing my personal 60ft compass check point, I grabbed a thumb full of throttle stick and slammed it to the Ascend decal from MCP.com vendor UAVstickers.com. The Ascend in this settings is UP. Since it was dark I watched the Altitude Gauge, and let me tell ya I have never seen my copter climb as fast as it does now. Wow.

I climb until it reaches the point that I had set for my Height Limit which for me was 550ft. I live one mile from our city limits so I do get a real nice display of lights from our city at night. I stayed at the 550ft altitude until the battery was getting close to the 1st warning that I changed on mine from the 30%.

I have shaded the area below in blue because it's possible I missed part of the update. I wont know for sure until after our weather clears up so I can test further.

The decent. Ok guys, I really didn't point out was changes were added, but one thing was they slowed down the decent to a setting of 2m/s. With this setting it was slow, more quiet, and stable. But here comes the downfall....now while descending ....wait for it - - wait for it..... there is NO MORE FINESSING YOUR DESCENT. So in other words you're not able to move forward, reverse, or side to side while coming down. Now if the wind never blew taking you 40ft away from where you want to be, maybe a change like this would be more tolerable. But it just doesn't work like that, or at least where I live it doesn't. Maybe our DJI forum rep Tahoe Ed can fill us in on this?

Anyone else update, if so how's your changes going for you?

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adams View Post
    But here comes the downfall....now while descending ....wait for it - - wait for it..... there is NO MORE FINESSING YOUR DESCENT. So in other words you're not able to move forward, reverse, or side to side while coming down.

Anyone else update, if so how's your changes going for you?
    I am still flying 1.08 with no real need to update my rig yet. Surely this can't be right that you can only come down in a hover?
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may need to take a step back on some of what I posted above. It's possible I may have not installed the update correctly or completely.

I do know for a fact one thing I pointed out that was wrong, was the part about the adjusting the limits section no longer being in the assistant. It is there. But there is no way point settings anywhere.

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Waypoints is coming via an update to the app. Currently in late beta, hopefully released next week if no last minute issues I hear.

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to believe that DJI intends that you cannot have any lateral motion when descending - maybe because it was dark you could not see clearly enough.
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I checked during some test yesterday and it is as I 1st mentioned.

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pault View Post
    Hard to believe that DJI intends that you cannot have any lateral motion when descending - maybe because it was dark you could not see clearly enough.
    pault, I learned something new during additional testing. The Vision can be controlled while in descend. But only if the descend stick is NOT at 100%. If you have the descend stick at anything other then full down position, you can maneuver as need be.
    `

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suppose that is a small improvement but if you needed to get down in a real hurry you would want full stick down and​ control over lateral motion .....
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pault View Post
    Suppose that is a small improvement but if you needed to get down in a real hurry you would want full stick down and​ control over lateral motion .....
    Yeah you got that right! Every time I go up now I'm in fear of if a helicopter or small plane appears and I can't drop out of the way soon enough.

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first and second flight I didnt know any different about descending, everything seemed to come back rather swiftly and in one piece, after reading recent posts about decending slowly and less than 10% stick I can only come to two conclusions
    1. Ive been very lucky
    2. Its made me extremely paranoid about descending from any altitude

11. #11 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=edshed;1183]My first and second flight I didnt know any different about descending, everything seemed to come back rather swiftly and in one piece, after reading recent posts about decending slowly and less than 10% stick I can only come to two conclusions
    1. Ive been very lucky

I can understand someone feeling as you mentioned if they have flown something before flying a Phantom. DJI made all the Phantom models very user friendly.