1. #1 Top |
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost Blown Away

Took my Mavic up even though the winds were gusting 10-15 mph. I tried to be safe by flyong first into the wind to ensure I could make headway, and I could...but just barely (GPS mode).

So I was toodling around, and ended up going downwind for quite a ways. Then the wind picked up to about 25-30 mph. I hit the RTH button with about 50% battery left.

At full forward power the bird could only do about 2mph average, sometimes 3, sometimes 0. At this point I started to get worried, as the battery was dropping and she was still 1/2 mile out. I realized I didnít have a plan for this situation. First, I switched into Sport mode. Then I decided to drop as low as possible as the wind was probably stronger higher up. Then I started tacking left and then right into the wind, and in this way got the bird back with 6% battery left.

That was too close for comfort, so if there are any other high wind tricks/tips anyone knows about Iíd be happy to hear them. Oh, by the way, this wasvwith the Sports+ mods ó I donít think Iíd have made it back without them.

2. #2 Top |
    Extreme Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulation recovering from that situation and bringing your bird home. I think reducing altitude and switching to sports mode are the two most important things that you did. One of the other things I do routinely is take a quick look at the UAV Forecast app on my phone before flying, especially if it seems breezy. I don't always follow its advice, but if the dashboard says "Not Good to Fly" because of wind conditions, I check out the details of wind/gust speed at various altitudes and fly accordingly.

3. #3 Top |
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So folks find that UAV Forecast app is accurate? I’ve used other weather apps before and they may be accurate whereever their sensor data recorders are located, but not necessarily where I am.