1. #1 Top |

Build your mavic charger for under $5

Hi,
    Here is how to build a Mavic charger.
    It will allow you to charge your batteries from any other battery or power source under 13V.
    If you want to go on some expedition where there is no main power, you can take conventional 3s lipo (or lead, or whatever) batteries to charge your Mavic batttery. They need around 13.3V, and 6A current limited supply to charge properly.
    You will need a multimeter, (or just a voltmeter and ampmeter), to set it up.

First, you will need this booster:
    s-l500 (Medium).jpg
    You can find it on ebay here for example.

Then all you will need is to connect it to a battery or power supply of 12.6v or below, and set the output voltage of the booster to 13.3v (adjusting the respective potentiometer).
    Then connect it to a (empty) Mavic battery, and set the charge current to around 6A via the other potentiometer.
    Thatīs all.

I made the battery connector with pins soldered on a PCB, but for a just few $ more, you can buy them already made, again on ebay here .
    s-l1600 (Medium).jpg

(Those sellers are the cheaper at the time I post this, but you may find better ones)

And finally, some pictures of my two chargers, made in old power adapter cases.

The Cheapo one:
    DSC05735 (Medium).jpg DSC05748 (Medium).jpg

And the Deluxe version :
    DSC05749 (Medium).jpg

Connector pinout of the Mavic battery :
    Mavic pro battery connector pinout .jpg
    Last edited by -Fred-; 01-16-18 at 07:07 PM.

2. #2 Top |
    Manual Reader
    awesome , tnx

3. #3 Top |
    Extreme Donator
    I'm going to be giving this project a try soon.

As somebody who goes camping a lot, my vehicle/trailer is limited to 12.7 volts for charging, and the few times I've tried to do my drone batteries so far have failed. I do run an 240V inverter on the trailer, so can use the home charger, but I don't think that's going to be as efficient a solution as this one.

Has anybody else made one of these? Are there any new modules, components or tips/tricks for somebody about to give it a go?

Cheers!
    Michael.

4. #4 Top |
    Extreme Donator
    Fred, the product description for the DC-DC converter says "LED driver"... can I assume that means that it's able to drive the LED display, as you have in your pictures, to display the output?

Do you have a recommendation for a compatible LED display?

Thanks,
    Michael.

5. #5 Top |
    It says "led driver" because this converter is current limited, so it can also be used to drive a high power leds.
    The small led voltmeters are independent, and can be found on ebay too, HERE for example...
    You can find larger ones, just search for "Led voltmeter" and you will find a lot of them ...

6. #6 Top |
    Extreme Donator
    Thanks Fred. The picture you've posted of the LED wired to the converter appears to be wired to the input side - I would imagine you would want it wired to the output side, so you could tell the output voltage after adjusting it... or are the wires just routed under the board in your photo?

Also, how do you know that you've adjust the pot for current correctly? Do you just adjust using a multimeter when you first set it up, with no further adjustment required?

Quote Originally Posted by -Fred- View Post
    It says "led driver" because this converter is current limited, so it can also be used to drive a high power leds.
    The small led voltmeters are independent, and can be found on ebay too, HERE for example...
    You can find larger ones, just search for "Led voltmeter" and you will find a lot of them ...

7. #7 Top |
    I have wired the voltmeter to the input so I could check my lipo (or whatever battery I use) voltage without damaging it.
    Output voltage is set up only once, so no need to check it, and yes, the output charging amperage is also set up at around 6A only the first time, while charging an empty Mavic battery.

8. #8 Top |
    Extreme Donator
    Thanks Fred for all the information.

For my solution, I shouldn't need to keep an eye on my input voltage, as the sources the power will be coming from have their own monitoring, so I shouldn't need to include an LCD.

I'm going to make mine as a car accessory socket power input, and a car accessory power output, so I can use the stock DJI car charger (which is picky about voltage) even when the power source is running a little low.

I've ordered my converter module, and have the car socket and plug already, so I should be able to try this out pretty quickly after the converter arrives.

Thanks again!
    Michael.