1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Shrimpy supporting this Forum ?

I already frequent a number of different Quadcopter forums so why would I want to support this forum especially when its only just rising to its feet and there are only a few members registered?

The key reason is that I am looking for a lot more organisation in the way information is presented. Properly moderated content makes it much easier to find the information you need when you need it. If your a new user you should certainly keep this in mind.

I normally post on Phantompilots. Its a good forum but the big problem is that there are so many new posts everyday that its now a full time job to keep up with the huge number of posts. You may feel that more is better but when most of them are just asking the same question over and over again they are actually preventing you from seeing what is new, and perhaps vital.

I don't know about you but I am retired and even I don't have enough time to read through all of the new posts. The downside is I often miss updates to important threads just because they are lost in amongst the hundreds of posts.

Now I don't criticise any of the posters. Many of those posts are only being made because people cannot find the answers that have been given many many times before.

Fractured information is frustrating and often misleading. It confuses the hell out of new pilots because there is no easy way to follow multiple threads. The lack of an effective search function just compounds the problem. Some people argue that all we have to do is fix the search but even if that is possible your information will still be fractured over dozens of posts.

Information cannot organise itself. You need dedicated moderators who are prepared to take charge of a specific area of interest to them. They can then draw the information together and ensure that it represents the latest best practice. Phantompilots.com currently has only one moderator and its an impossible task for one person to manage.

An unintended consequence of this lack of organisation is that the forum stalwarts who answer a huge proportion of the questions get tired of repeating themselves over and over again. You have a choice when you see a plea for help. You can write out the answer yet again or you might try and find your previous answer and link to it. That is a soul destroying thing to have to do time and time again. Its this problem that has led to this new initiative. Its not about competing with Phantompilots its about making a resource that is just easier for everyone to use.

If your lurking in the background watching what is happening here wondering if you should join, then I urge you to register. Try this place without giving up any other forum. Lets see how things pan out with more organisation.

Shrimpy
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this SF and pointing out that it's not about competing with another website. For me it's like what I wouldn't give to have the info that has been posted on pp.com. Most of what you posted about had frustrated me to the point that I created this website in hopes of having some structure in place. Even though we have been going through some trial & error here, I think for now long then what we've been here things are beginning to shape up rather nicely. You ShrimpFarmer (SF) are a true asset to any website. You have been a huge help no longer then you've been here. And as long as we continue posting new content here, others will join in a matter of time. Again, thank you for your support, it is much appreciated!

Frank

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only joined the PhantomPilots forum a couple of weeks ago, just in time for Shrimpy's "Does anyone else feel lost here?"debate about how the site was becoming stuck in the weeds. The bottom line seems that PP is a victim of its own success. The site administrator, Adam, seemed to be keeping his head down and was reluctant to join in the conversation - possibly because he is overwhelmed by the whole thing and possibly because he had not found the post in amongst all the other stuff.

There was even a comment to the effect that Adam the Admin did not really exist and was a piece of software. If Adam is software, it is damn good. I had sent him a PM (about dealing directly with DJI on certain issues) a day or so before and we had a couple of exchanges - and he appeared very human.

The thread included a couple of suggestions about using moderators to control the flow of repeated questions. I sent him a PM suggesting he looked at the thread but he did not respond. Then I saw Shrimpy's post about MCP and had a look - and what do I see? Shrimpy’s smiling face as a Moderator, and I thought 'this looks promising'.

Moderation is not just there to prevent offensive posts and spam, it is there to instil discipline in users. If there is a FAQ page with answers to common questions (how do I install basic software, change a rotor blade, charge a battery etc) anyone posting these questions would be directed to the FAQ by the Mod and their post ‘disapproved’ (i.e. not posted). The introduction to the site should be quite clear that posts already covered in the FAQ will not be accepted. It may put some people off, but sooner or later the value will become clear when the site is a useful resource and not a rummage sale of half-finished conversations and disgruntled members.

On top of this I also suspect that Adam is struggling with the phpBB system used by PP - I run a forum using phpBB and is is fiendishly convoluted. I hate it (but this is a personal problem between me and my shrink…) I may have got this wrong, but it seems to me that Frank (admin) has a pretty good handle on the forum system (vBulletin). This is a great advantage as it allows the admin to use all the features of the program to help it run smoothly - including a robust system of moderation.

As far as I can tell this forum is not moderated in a formal sense (i.e. posts may be looked at by a Mod, but they seem to go pubic without the need for specific approval). This is what led to PP getting swamped. Is this correct?

If so, surely this is the time to set up a FAQ page and board-wide moderation - before it is too late and history repeats itself.
    Better Than Nothing - Just
    As at 17 April 2014:
    Phantom 2 Vision
    Vision App: v 1.0.37 unfortunately (iPhone5)
    RC: v 1.1 (Firmware v 1.0.2.22)
    PT2: v 3.0

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    New Members may temporarily experience "waiting for approval" messages when posting images or videos in some threads and not others, but Frank's looking into this as we comb-out the finer idiosyncrasies of vBulletin which has so many "dobs n' knials" to adjust, esp after reformatting MCP's forum layout recently. So far, so good and Ive been trying to flush the awaiting Mod cache as quickly as new members post their first pic's & vid's on the affected SubForum's as we sus it out.

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Thanks for the vote of confidence in me and this forum.

Its going to be interesting to see how we cope with the explosion of members when it happens. Every day more people join and there is plenty of work ongoing to attract more. We will certainly have to keep focus on ensuring information is properly captured.

I personally would prefer to see people post quickly and manage people those who can't be bothered to look for information which has already been provided. Time will tell how this will eventually be done but there is a lot of experience here and its growing daily.

Quote Originally Posted by HoverShot View Post
    I only joined the PhantomPilots forum a couple of weeks ago, just in time for Shrimpy's "Does anyone else feel lost here?"debate I sent Adam a PM suggesting he looked at the thread but he did not respond. Then I saw Shrimpy's post about MCP and had a look - and what do I see? Shrimpy’s smiling face as a Moderator, and I thought 'this looks promising'.

As far as I can tell this forum is not moderated in a formal sense (i.e. posts may be looked at by a Mod, but they seem to go pubic without the need for specific approval). This is what led to PP getting swamped. Is this correct?

If so, surely this is the time to set up a FAQ page and board-wide moderation - before it is too late and history repeats itself.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who frequents PP will know that I'm a member there and make posts there. I will likely continue to do so - simply because there are still some decent folks there among the weeds who can use a bit of encouragement. The rants, attacks, and divergent threads can be off putting, but they do seem to run in waves.

On the other hand I was attracted to this forum by the notion that it might be better organized as a reference source, and that it might reflect a modicum of civility absent from PP. PP was the first forum I encountered that had a foe list option, or needed one. I'm not sure why that was, but it is what it is.

That having been said I certainly intend to frequent MCP as well. My interest is purely as a casual hobbyist (I've been I and out of RC "things" for years) but its always interesting to see what the serious folks are up to.

As my New Orleans friends like to say, "Laissez les bon temps rouler".

7. #7 Top |
    Prop Installer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm here for the beer.
    Last edited by ratbastard; 04-22-14 at 09:31 PM.

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ratbastard View Post
    I'm hear for the beer.
    There's an outfit in Minnesota that tried using UASs to deliver six packs to ice fisherman. The FAA was not impressed. Now that the NTSB judge has (temporarily) shut down FAA enforcement, maybe you'll be able to get some.

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ratbastard View Post
    I'm hear for the beer.
    Cheers Ratbastard.