1. #1 Top |
    Extreme Donator
    Post Thanks / Like

Mavic drowned but resuscitated, 1 battery not well.

Hi y'all.
    Long story short, hit some foliage flying sideways slowly filming family, wife dived in and retrieved it within 20 seconds, lights on drone were still flashing, I pulled battery within 2 seconds of it coming out of the water, shook all water out of both drone and battery, sat battery in sun for a while, within a couple hours we were home and I put both Mavic and battery into a sealed container with lots of dehumidifyer granules for around 40 hours, and then removed and tested...

Drone works fine, no problems that I can find.
    Battery LEDs act like it is fine, do everything they should. But the battery outputs no power and thus it's useless at the moment.
    I put it on the charge and the lights act like it's charging for a few seconds, then go solid like it's turned on, then they show shutdown, and the charger dock shows RED light.

I've tested with a m.m and got just over 5v showing.

If anyone can tell me or link me to some more diagnostics on how I can test what's wrong with this battery that would be awesome.
    I can dismantle it if I need to. I'm guessing I'll have to.

2. #2 Top |
    Extreme Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still haven't cracked the battery open, waiting patiently for any helpful suggestions.
    Thanks.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    most all new DJI drones boards are covered good with a water resistance coatings, I have gotten 2 phantom 4's that where drowned and payed 150 and 250 for complete setup, and found that the batteries are designed to pop instantly when they hit water, so not to hurt the drone electronics,they have one of those white dots that turn red, like a cell phone. its the power going thru boards that destroy them, but like a said the battery pops, saves drone, the second P4 I got was under water for 1 hour before retrieval, and now its my favorite drone, if you dip in rice or my fav, blow a hairdryer into lipo compartment for and hour or so.....don't have to be burning hot.....they will com alive with fresh lipo

this is a lipo I took apart from P4 first drowned one I got for 150.00

this does not apply to salt water, unless you get it within the first hour

Quote Originally Posted by gmeddy View Post
    I still haven't cracked the battery open, waiting patiently for any helpful suggestions.
    Thanks.

4. #4 Top |
    Extreme Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that - interesting that my drone was still running with all lights flashing after I pulled it up out of the water. I had to pull the battery off to kill it.
    My battery still behaves like it's working, but only outputs 5 point something volts...

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    well maybe you got it out fast enough.....if you can charge it up a little like a lion battery, maybe you can save

Quote Originally Posted by gmeddy View Post
    Thanks for that - interesting that my drone was still running with all lights flashing after I pulled it up out of the water. I had to pull the battery off to kill it.
    My battery still behaves like it's working, but only outputs 5 point something volts...

6. #6 Top |
    Extreme Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzroy View Post
    if you can charge it up a little like a lion battery, maybe you can save
    That's the problem, the battery turns on, but when I try charge it, it gets rejected by the charger and turns itself off.
    I guess that it's a 2 cell battery, because it should be 11.4v but mine outputs just over 5, so I'm assuming one cell is disconnected - and that must have happened while it was drying out, or when I sat it in the sun for a while and it overheated??

I would only wonder if I open it up I can possibly reset the board or reconnect something???

7. #7 Top |
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    eBay was an alternative, to move as flawed, yet on the off chance that DJI will formally fix it at state ... KedDK, indeed, that is the one, it was under 30 seconds, all I jump on it presently is 1 light glimmering ... Would have been great to utilize it s a test battery like you said. .... this disaster, however sad, your battery couldn't be revived.