Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Waypoint flying upgrade for Vision (and presumably Vision+?) imminent?

http://www.facebook.com/russell.brown.9828

Unless of course they haven't learnt from the P2 Ground Station debacle and want to really annoy the Vision owners even further by "teasing" us then hitting a last-minute snag. Hope not!

2. #2 Top |
    Prop Installer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you are right... Do you know if this will work with iPhone, iPad mini, AND iPad? Or is it restricted somehow to the iPad alone?

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope it works with Android and all current devices the Vision works with or I'll hit the roof. It was always promised as an upgrade/addition to the existing app so should work with anything that currently works. If not then there'll be a riot, I reckon. There are many android & Vision users!

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are there applicable instructions for ground station posted anywhere? In particular I'm wondering if there are any minimum distance limitations, for example, that the Vision has to be at least X meters away from the home point and the waypoints have to be Y meters apart.

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's not an iOS device he's holding so you Android users may be in for a treat!
    (inglorious basterds!)

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps this ...

http://download.dji-innovations.com/...al_en_v3.0.pdf

Lots of detail ... much to digest. Did notice this "a maximum of 16 waypoints can be added in the NAZA-M/NAZA-M V2/Phantom 2 waypoint mode."
    Last edited by Visioneer; 04-25-14 at 10:21 AM.

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although anything new is a bit of fun at first can anyone think of a practical use for general hobby flyers ?
    I can understand it would be useful for people doing routine surveys such as farmers etc but I cannot think of anything I can do with it.

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope it works with Android and all current devices the Vision works with or I'll hit the roof. It was always promised as an upgrade/addition to the existing app so should work with anything that currently works. If not then there'll be a riot, I reckon. There are many android & Vision users!

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure that "practical use" is a subcategory for "hobby flier" , but it does look like it'd be fun to play with. Practical use might be "mapping" your property or flying field with an accurate grid of photos (if it flies that precisely). Another "minor" application might be having it autofly a mission so you can take in flight photos from the ground. Assuming you can save missions, it would allow you to refly the same mission over and over ... perhaps for demo purposes, or to record changes over time. Once we see what it can do, I'm sure we'll find many gee-whiz tasks, and perhaps even some that are useful.

I've not previously looked into ground station at all, but if the above referenced manual is applicable, this section gives some clue as to what you can control.

http://www.lsvl.info/WaypointSet.jpg

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the number of satellites in view I should imagine it would be very accurate and hopefully you should be able to save 'missions'. There may also be a way of triggering the camera at predefined positions and if that is the case, as you say, it may be fun to do a time lapse of the changes in the landscape over time (trees coming into leaf then changing colour and falling in the autumn).

11. #11 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be nice if you could save "missions" - I would like to take some stills in a certain location once a month to create a season time lapse as you mentioned. Being able to bring up the saved profile (take-off, go to this point here, at this height, facing this direction - I take photos - come back home) would hopefully make for a really nice, smooth aerial timelapse with only minimal changes to the framing.

But who knows what level of toys we'll get until it's here - and will it be an update to the existing app or a standalone?

12. #12 Top |
    Prop Installer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a little confused if you have to have 2 devices: one running on wifi (FPV) and one running on bluetooth (for setting waypoints). No chance the "ground station" capabilities would be integrated into the same device that you are using for FPV??????

13. #13 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, it's all going to be done via the Vision app (or an additional app that runs alongside the Vision app. but on the same device). We already effectively have a datalink between our phones and the aircraft thanks to the link to the camera, so the app will send the information to the aircraft via the camera about what route to fly, you having selected your waypoints on a map on your existing app.

Only the other aircraft in the range need the bluetooth unit to send data to the flight controller as they don't have the two-way data communication we already enjoy thanks to the Vision app with its FPV preview and ability to control the aircraft (camera tilt, aircraft yaw, etc).

14. #14 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Further to the time lapse potential I can foresee one significant problem. Even if you can set the camera to trigger (which is at best a 50/50 chance imo) there will probably not be a way to align the camera so you would have to remember the exact alignment you used last time. This would be easier for you lucky gimbal owners as you could simply set the camera to look straight down on each flight.

15. #15 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    The full Ground Station for iPad allows you to set nose orientation I believe - all depends on whether that comes with the Vision versions. I'm hoping so, in which case I can send it off to my saved waypoint (location, height and orientation) and hover there for 60 seconds while I manually trigger off several shots, then it can bring itself home and land. Having a gimbal (either built-in like the Vision Plus or retro-fit third-party like a Rotorpixel on the original Vision) means the Horizon will always be level for the shots even in windy conditions...