1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

The Phantom Death Drop: Non Vortex Ring

There is only one concern I have now flying my Phantom. I call it the Phantom Death Drop. Its when everything is normal and without doing anything wrong all of the engines cut and the Phantom becomes a dropping brick. There has been so much discussion about fly aways that I often think a much more significant issue is ignored. So I have decided to create this post to list examples of this happening. The warning to all is that as nobody knows when this might happen, keep away from being over people or expensive objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFST...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Shrimpfarmer; 04-25-14 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Added new video evidence
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another reason to have 3rd party insurance just in case it decides to land on something expensive or heaven forbid, something living.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes my thoughts exactly. I have got mine and I hope I never have to use it.

Does not seem to be a way to change the title once thread is created. I want it to read The Phantom Death Drop - non vortex ring.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your wish, is...

I just know I'm going to run into Barbara Eden in here somewhere.

(BTW, on the first post, it should be editable in the Advanced Editor)

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you matey !!

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check those soldered connections as part of your regular "open the hood" maintenance. I'm not saying they are the only cause, but they are one of them. All the power to all the systems comes in through two solder joints to the main board.

7. #7 Top |
    Prop Installer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I experienced the "sudden death drop" with my second P2 (H3-2D, GoPro 3+, FPV). It is the most disturbing experience because it just happens on its own and you just watch it fall to its demise and go and pick up the pieces. It erodes your confidence especially if you have done everything pre-flight,etc and on one flight for no reason it just "drops like a brick". My working hypothesis is some sort of solder joint became disconnected from the power to the motors. I did not open up the P2 to inspect but rather immediately contacted the dealer about returning the malfunctioned unit.

I can report that the P2V+ has been working very well and I want to think that it is dependable and keep wanting to be confident that it will continue to perform and not mysteriously drop to the ground for no reason. The P2V+ has not had any broken connections with the wifi and no purple kites or central focus issue (like my first P2V+). I am practicing on an open soccer field maneuvers like circling an object and keeping the camera directed on it all the way around and keep thinking that I am ready to take the P2V+ to several spots to begin capturing the video for some of my storyboards. But, I am very hesitant because of the feeling that the "drop from the sky" is going to happen "anytime". It is hard to get rid of that doubt to free up for some more interesting video than a soccer field. I guess it will just take some time.

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    The death drop is my only concern these days. I have well over a hundred safe flights now on my P2 yet every time I send it out I still have thoughts that it may be its last flight. It does not stop me enjoying the quad but as I tend to fly it over inaccessible locations its a nagging worry but only before its in the air. After that I am too busy flying and framing.

I still will never hover it over anybody or anything that might be damaged though. A Phantom still does not deserve that level of trust.

9. #9 Top |
    Prop Installer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shrimpfarmer, there were really good pictures of bad solder joints in the PhantomPilot Vision Thread ( http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14282 ). I am thinking I now need to get brave and follow Pull_Ups advice to inspect the inside to look for these strange "cold solder joints". This certainly would explain what I experienced with my P2.

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezabel View Post
    Shrimpfarmer, there were really good pictures of bad solder joints in the PhantomPilot Vision Thread ( http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14282 ). I am thinking I now need to get brave and follow Pull_Ups advice to inspect the inside to look for these strange "cold solder joints". This certainly would explain what I experienced with my P2.
    Well if you do lift the lid grab some nice reference photos and post them here. Its always good to see what the insides should look like.

11. #11 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the anti-interference board for the H3-3D coming in the post so happy to take some shots inside the P2 when I fit that if no one else gets there before I do...