1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

FPV Video Breakup When Starting Motors

I'll explain my problem and hopefully somebody will know what me problem is.

I drove around 15 miles from where I live to fly my P2V. I get there and calibrate the compass. Then I go through the normal setup and when it comes time to pressing the camera icon in the app it just wants to give me a black screen, as if the cover was left on. Finally after failed attempts at getting live video I shut everything down and reboot my nexus7 tablet. I then bring everything up and the best I get is a frozen image. Then eventually the video begins to work but as soon as I start the props the video begins to pixelate and freezes.

I feel like something might be wrong with the extender but I'm only speculating on that. Anyone have anything similar to that happen? If so, what was your fix?
    Last edited by iDrone; 04-23-14 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Optimize title

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am assuming the video camera lead is still firmly plugged in. If your messing with it make sure its powered down as I have heard it can blow board components if you disturbed it powered up. Its the only thing I can think of. Have you done the recent upgrade to the app ? That could be a cause as well.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes plugs are secure. I want to think this has something to do with whatever battery source is in the range extender. I' m also just starting to get into some research and most of anything I think is good to include here, I will be. So some of this may end up all over this thread before I'm done.

The video I added below will most likely be where I end up when all is done. However, with FPVLR being a site supporter I may go with his products. But at any rate I watched the video below and he installs the two toplink setups and his dessert jungle where he flies 3200ft and I did not notice any fluctuating that I can remember.

In the video there were a few good points mentioned. The one that sticks with me the most is the fact how tiny the stock antennas are. And the other good point was, how easy and simple it was to add two jumper wires and connect them to whatever antenna option you go with.

Ok, so I mentioned earlier that when I activated my props I could notice a breaking up. It actually looked more like interference then anything else.

The last time I flew I added the samething as when it shown in the pic below to the range extender to help it stay at a full charge throughout the flight. It seems as though after 7-8 minutes the video starts to enter a stage of not being 100%. Ok I'm going stop here and do more digging. All you P2V Pilots out there don't hide...come on out and help a brother out.
    zumo.jpg

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shrimpfarmer mentioned the thought I had ... I'm not familiar with the Nexus7 tablet - might it have autoupdated to the latest DJI app? There have been many reports of video freezes with the version that supports P2V+.

It happened to me on my Galaxy SIII. Fix is to revert to previous version or change to a lower video resolution/frame rate. I did the latter since the screen's not all that big on a smartphone anyway, and I'm not using it for FPV.

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Nexus 7 should in theory have enough grunt to handle the video streams nicely. As has been mentioned I've seen several reports of issues with the new version of the android app. These have usually been silver with a full device reboot and/or reverting to the old default max frame rate of 15fps at full res and not 30fps which is the new.

I've been away and have yet to fly with the new app or the new firmware (I'm on android) so will see if I have any issues when the rain stops.

FWIW I've been running directional antennas from Horizon FPV Antennas and have had excellent results, even with my Rotorpixel gimbal installed.

I also tend to fly with a USB power pack and my phone and range extender plugged into it. I've no evidence that a fully charged extender makes any difference but it "feels" like it does... But that won't pass muster with engineering types like iDrone!

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine set at the 15fps. These numbers are for display. The video being streamed from the P2V should be the same rate.

I have a thought of what may have happened. I wonder if when I added the usb power pack if it didn't in some way. As in damage the power supply of the range extender?

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok just completed more testing this issue. Yesterday when at the other location where I could not get any clean video to transmit, I told my wife, you just watch I will get home and test this problem, and there wont be any problem. Well, I did manage to get some kind of video right from the start. But I was able to get in some good testing, or at least enough to be able to come to a conclusion.

I feel like I have one of three things going on. I either have a short, broken wire, or lose connect in some part of the video process. I know for a fact it is not a bad extender, weak extender battery. While flying I went through all display settings in the app. Regardless on what I did in the app at anytime was that I could not get the 640 30fps to display clean video. I reboot, in flight, on ground, nothing. It would show a small section across the top of the screen, and that was it.

I best find my problem, or part of it, was while flying and snapping the yaw from side to side, or forward and reverse while snapping the stick quickly. The lower the altitude and closer to me, the easier I could regain a normal stream. I also plugged in the power pack on the extender and it never made any difference under any circumstances.

I'm positive I have replacement wires and harnesses on hand. So I will pop the cover and investigate the next chance I get.I only hope I find something. These kind of things can really suck when you can't locate the problem. Oh and I most definitely want this resolved before upgrading the antennas.