1. #1 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like

The Phantom Assistant: A Simple Step-by-Step Breakdown

Hello Everyone,
    Jerry here. Lately i have been racking my brain trying to figure out all this firmware, app, software, BTU,drivers, compass, IMU recalibration, compass calibration, gyroscope,
    Accelerometer, X , Y, Z, Mod??AHHHHHHHHHHHH.......

DJI recommends " using latest ASSISTANT SOFTWARE ( for PC ( PC=computer )),
    Latest PC DRIVER, Latests CAMERA firmware, latest CONTROLLER firmware,
    latest MC firmware ( MC= ( multi-copter / phantom ( 1 / 2 / 2v / & 2v+ ) or any other DJI multi-rotor craft. And finally latest DJI APP.

ALSO,
    People are talking about ( Glitches, Crashes, Fly-a-ways, or other STRANGE phenomenon, with their multi-rotors. ) and to hook them to PC Assistant to diagnose, but no directions on doing so? So what the heck am i doing? And what am i looking at?

People are also talking about recalibrating IMU, AFTER weird behavior, crash, fly-a-way, ect.. What the hell is an IMU. How do you calibrate?

So,
    I am going to try to walk you through! ( i am NO expert, am only divulging what i have learned ( Personally )! ( have to say this, in case of post BOMBERS, lol. )
    ( IF ANY OF THIS IS INCORRECT, PLEASE POST, SO WE CAN MAKE IT RIGHT! )

Definition:
    ( YAW= phantom spins like a record side to side )
    ( PITCH= phantom moves forward or backwards! )
    ( ROLL= phantom moves left or right )

First:
    Download latest app on smart phone, so that is ready for update below. You can use whatever version you want, as some people do not like newest version ( due to no fly zones, and glitching cameras, and gimbals?

Ok ( updating )
    ( FIRST, CHARGE OR REPLACE ALL BATTERIES, BEFORE DOING THIS )
    Start with EVERYTHING fully charged ( controller, phantom batt., radio batteries, smart phone, and wifi extender batt. ) to insure solid update, ( PROPS OFF ) safety first.
    Step 1
    Goto ( DJI.COM ), Download newest ( PC ASSISTANT SOFTWARE ) to your PC.
    STEP 2
    Download latest PC DRIVER TO PC ( this allows communication with Phantom, if you do not do this step, your computer ( PC ) MAY not recognize phantom.
    ( it may tell you to hook the phantom to PC during this install )
    STEP 3
    Flip both switches ( toggles ) to Up position on controller, turn on controler, turn on Wifi range extender, then turn on Phantom ( 1/2/2v/2v+ ) ( PROPS OFF ) for safety, then link smart phone to wifi, as if you were going to fly.
    Step 4
    Plug phantom to PC ( WITH ASSISTANT RUNNING ) ( unless installing driver, as your ( phantom ) will already be hooked up )
    Plug phantom to PC using supplied ( mini usb ) connection cable, same cable charges wifi extender.
    On the bottom left of PC SCREEN, you will see 2 lights ( 1x red, 1x blue )
    You should see RED LIGHT ON ( letting you know we have CONNECTION )
    You should see BLUE LIGHT BLINKING ( telling you we have communication ( PC TO PHANTOM )

Ok in ASSISTANT on PC,

DEFAULT = ( factory recommended settings )

1st page is VIEW ( this gives you an overview on setting and such ) info here.

2nd page is BASIC ( here is where we can CALIBRATE CONTROLLER, AND PERSONALIZE ( S1 toggle )
    Under this page there are 2 Sub-tabs
    A) RC ( calibrate controller )
    Command sticks calibration
    ( a, e, t, r ) ( a= aileron, e= elevator, t= throttle, and r= rudder )
    press start to start calibration, turn sticks to their farthest most points, then round and round every direction, then return to center, click finish! ( double check by moving sticks and letting go, green bars should be in center, if not recalibrate!

STICKS MONITOR CALIBRATION
    ( this setting is for the 2 trims on rear of controller ) X1 top hole used for. 3 axis gimbals, you must set and calibrated to use X1 for gimbal mount!
    X2 is bottom hole, it is the gain setting for IOC ( intelligent orientation control )
    ( for advanced users , use caution setting here )
    ( unless you are adding a multiple axis gimbal, I recommend leaving these settings DEFAULT )

And finally CONTROL MODE SWITCH ( S1 toggle ) you can set each position to ( NORMAL FLY or FAILSAFE )
    In any combination for the 3 positions on toggle S1
    ( no settings for S2 here , please see NAZA-M below for additional settings ( S1 and S2 toggles )

( default, left toggle S2 ( OFF all positions ) and right toggle S1 ( up=GPS-Normal, middle=ATTI-GPS, and bottom=FAILSAFE ( RTH ) return to home!

2nd page BASIC ( continued )
    sub tab B) Gain ( here you can change gain settings, to personalize flight parameters )
    Note, Gain, default is 100% this means when you turn the stick, the phantom responds with 100% gain, turns, yaws, rolls, ect. Example, say phantom turns at 45 degrees at 100%, it would only turn 22.5 degrees set at 50%
    ( numbers and % above for reference only, as I do not know actual angles for each setting? ) but you get the basic idea!
    ( lower gains for beginners, higher gains for experienced pilots. ) I believe you can go all the way to 250%.( 250% would be Balls to the Wall ) full tilt, and full speed !
    ( NOTE: if you add weight to phantom ( bigger gimbal, tracker, ect. You may want to INCREASE Gain, for MORE lifting power! To compensate power to weight ratio! ))
    If you shed weight ( take off gimbal, ect ) you may want to LOWER gains!

( BASIC gain is ( yaw, pitch and roll SPEED )

( ATTITUDE gain, is assent/decent or up-down speed ) i do not recommend changing these settings unless you know what you are doing, or do it in SMALL INCREMENTS at a time.

Ok
    3rd page is ADVANCED ( you have 3 Sub-pages )
    A) battery ( here we can check battery stats, and change warning thresholds )
    ( default is ( low battery ( 1st warning ) 35% battery or less )), critical battery ( 2nd warning ( 15% battery or less ))
    ( i changed mine to ( 25-15 ) not 35-15. ( again my personal preference, since I ONLY FLY with phantom in line of sight, never trust FPV ( first person view ), in case of delay? So i would have plenty of time to land in case low battery, if you are flying very far away, you might want to raise these setting, to give you longer to return and land. If power gets below 12% phantom will auto land, so be careful!

B) Gimbal ( you can adjust gains, and limits for camera gimbal )
    ( GIMBAL GAIN is how FAST the gimbal moves up and down, rotation, side-side )
    GIMBAL LIMITS are how FAR up, down ect, the camera can move ( this is a personal preference setting. Depending on what you are trying for in your video. ) I left mine alone ( default is fine )
    ( NOTE: if your flying with your camera ALL the way up in app, and your camera faces the ground,( not level ) or you set the camera up, and you see it slowly drop or start moving down ( you have to keep bumping it up )
    Follow these SETTINGS:
    Default PITCH is MAX=1000, CENTER=0, MINIMUM= -450
    Change PITCH to
    MAX=650 / CENTER=0 / MINIMUM= -950 ( this should fix it )
    Ps: default PITCH GAIN ( 20.00 ) speed of tilt! This is a good setting!

C) Limits ( this is for limiting how far your phantom can fly UP, and/or AWAY from you. ( you can set, say 100 feet up, and 300 feet away, that way if you end up getting lost or turned around, or leave your limit field, the phantom will stop at 100 feet up OR 300 feet away, and not allow you to go any farther, gives you a warning, entering limit zone. I LEFT MINE DEFAULT. ( you can also change from meters, to feet, or miles in this page!

4th page TOOLS ( this is where you recalibrate IMU and reset BTU info. )
    ( IMU= Inertial Measurement Unit )
    An inertial measurement unit, or IMU, is an electronic device that measures and reports on a craft's velocity, orientation, and gravitational forces, using a combination of accelerometers and gyroscopes, sometimes also magnetometers. IMUs are typically used to maneuver aircraft, including unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs)
    ( BTU= Bluetooth Unit )
    Here is where it gets a bit confusing
    Here are the guidelines: ( DJI GUIDELINES )
    " Normally, there is no need for recalibrating the IMU by the user ( You ), if the led blinks QUICKLY, of motion detection while stationary on the ground ( please try basic, or advanced calibration ( depending on the sensor Mod values ) this means while your phantom is hooked to PC, MAKE SURE IT IS LEVEL ( side to side ) and stationary ( do not move, at all ) if you see movement detected while phantom is still, you must recalibrate IMU. ) and depending on values, weather basic or advanced is needed ) EXPLAINED BELOW:
    GYROSCOPE: ( normal ( 0.0-1.5 )), if it is ( 1.6-3.0, basic cal needed ) if it is ABOVE ( 3.0, advanced cal is needed. ) this is under MOD VALUES. YOU WILL SEE ( x, y, z, and Mod ) mod is what we are looking for. ( if your gyroscope is within normal parameters ( or 0.0-1.5 ), no cal is needed.
    ACCELERATION: ( normal ( 0.98-1.02 )) if ( 0.97-0.98 or 1.02- 1.03 basic cal needed ), if below ( 0.97 ) or above ( 1.03 ) advanced cal is needed. Again if your accelerometer parameters, are normal range, no calibration needed.
    COMPASS: this is where you are located in magnetic earth ( -500-+500 ) if the MOD value here ( is lower than 750, or greater than 2250 ) you need compass recalibration.
    ( I reset BTU INFO, rebooted phantom, and did advance calibration on IMU )
    Again my personal opinion, and what i did personally with my P2V ( phantom 2 Vision )
    ( it will tell you IMU TOO HOT, BUT CONTINUE ANYWAY ) no matter what i do, it always says this, even when i turn on, and try to set right away.? But had no problems doing it this way.
    ( NOTE: the IMU ( inertial measurement unit ) works by taking readings from ACCELEROMETER ( this is movement in straight lines ( forward, backward, side to side , and up and down ) and also takes readings from GYROSCOPE ( spinning or rotating , and pitching movement ), and finally GPS ( where the phantom a located in space ) ( latitude, longitude, altitude )
    They all use ( x axis, y axis, and z axis ) to TRIANGULATE position. Then you have ( MOD )? What is MOD?
    ( MOD )
    MODULUS: ( noun )
    Definition: another term for ABSOLUTE VALUE.
    MOD takes ( x, y, z axis values, and averages them for absolute value! )

5th page is UPGRADE ( here is where you update firmware )
    ( just click each update link, to ensure ENTIRE list is up to date )
    ( anytime you update, always reboot phantom and check to see if everything took, on this page )

6th and final page, is INFO, HERE you can check all firmware versions, check news, ect..

Always recalibrate CONTROLLER, after any updates, recalibration, ect. While still in PC assistant. Once you are done, i always recalibrate magnetic compass before first flight, after update! Refer to PAGE 2 ( BASIC tab )above for controller recalibration.

Compass recalibration:
    With phantom on and ready to fly SWITCH right toggle ( S1 toggle ) up and down 8-10 times ( phantom lights. ) will go to SOLID YELLOW ( no flashing ) if not solid( try switching toggle sequence again. ) ok with SOLID yellow lights, pick phantom up a bit with it level with ground still, spin it 360 degrees around ( take your time do it right try to keep it level when you spin it around )
    lights will turn green, now turn phantom so front or camera is facing the ground, now turn phantom 360 degrees around with it facing down ( again, take it slow and level ) , lights will revert back to blinking yellow. ( No GPS lock ) or blinking green ( GPS lock ) and home point set ( short series of fast blinking green light followed by slower blinking green lights )

To update camera ( Phantom 2 Vision ONLY ):

Turn on phantom, in app ( FORMAT SD-card ) make sure you get your pictures and video off first, as card will be entirely erased, upon format )
    Insert card into PC, OPEN CAMERA FIRMWARE EXE, UNZIP FILES, RIGHT CLICK ON ( FIRMWARE BIN ) and copy it, now open SD-Card, and paste under DCIM. ( not IN DCIM, UNDER IT.)
    Next insert SD-Card into phantom, turn on phantom, green light on camera, will turn yellow while update installs, then it will turn green, reboot phantom, and light on camera goes from yellow to green light right away, letting you know update successful. Now reformat card or erase ( FIRMWARE BIN ) file from card.
    That is it. There is a video at DJI ON THIS AS WELL.

THESE ARE ( MY ) IMU SETTINGS
    GYROSCOPE: x=0.1 , y=0.2 , z=0.3 , MOD=0.3
    Accelerometer: x=0.0 , y=0.0 , z=1.00 , MOD=1.00
    Compass: x=328 , y=154 , z=173 , and MOD=1400.0

MAKE NOTES OF YOUR SETTING, then if something weird happens, ( crash, fly-a-way, hard landing, ect ) hook to PC, AND see if anything is out of whack? Compare notes. ( you will need this info, if crash occurs, or hard landing, or fly-a-way, ect ) it may help to figure out what happened to cause the mishap? This is what people mean when they say did you hook to assistant after crash?
    Or what were your values,when crash occured? now you know. ( explained in more depth below )

Now there is another setting ( i DO NOT RECOMMEND USING IT UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCED,, top of screen you will see PHANTOM, IF YOU CLICK HERE, IT WILL CHANGE TO NAZA-M mode, this is for ADVANCED USERS ONLY!

NAZA-M:
    Just switch over to it using the PC Assistant. Click the "Phantom 2" or " phantom. " button ( top towards the right a little ) this will change to NAZA-M mode while connected to the powered on P2 and click you way through the warnings. Just use the default switch settings for now.

Toggle settings:
    ( i do not recommend changing toggle settings, unless you are experienced, as these toggles, are a safety feature as well, and can easily be messed up, causing you to switch the wrong way, in a panic, instead of initiating RETURN HOME! Please use extreme caution!

ORIENTATION= direction phantom if facing controller ( towards, away, side, angle, ect )

Ok NAZA-M enables S2 switch as ( IOM ) Intelligent orientation mode, and S1 as ( Flight mode )

( default= S2 toggle all positions Off )
    ( S1= up( GPS normal), S1 middle ( ATTI GPS ), and S1 bottom ( FAILSAFE ).

With NAZA-M ON, they will be:

Left toggle or ( S2 switch )
    UP = OFF
    MIDDLE = CORSE LOCK
    BOTTOM = HOME POINT LOCK

S1 toggle switch:
    UP= GPS ( more GPS / less USER input )
    MIDDLE = ATTI GPS ( less GPS / more USER input )
    And
    DOWN = FAILSAFE ( return home )

Breakdown toggle positions:
    ( intelligent orientation mode S2 )
    IOC (S2 toggle UP first: )
    Off - Normal "Phantom 2" mode orientation control. ALWAYS TAKE OFF IN THIS SETTING.

IOC ( S2 toggle MIDDLE )
    Course Lock - No matter what orientation you are flying at, the right stick directions are oriented to your course direction, established during power-up (more on that later). So your bird can be facing left, and forward stick flies it along the forward course direction, not in the direction the front of the bird is facing.
    ( it will fly RIGHT, as IT thinks Right is Forward or AWAY from you! ) THIS WOULD BE LEFT ORIENTATION!

IOC ( S2 toggle DOWN )
    Home Lock - This flight pattern is like a wheel with spokes, with the hub being your home position established at power-up. Right stick back will fly along a spoke toward the home position, stick forward on a spoke away from home, stick right along the path of the rim at the current distance, etc. This is useful for getting your bird back to you when you have lost sight of it or have no idea where it is facing.

( in NAZA if you flip S2 toggle up and down 8-10 times, you will reset home point lock! )

Now Flight mode (S1 toggle UP ):
    GPS normal - Normal "Phantom 2" mode. ALWAYS TAKE OFF IN THIS SETTING.

Flight mode ( S1 toggle MIDDLE )
    GPS-ATTI - this setting, relies LESS on magnetic GPS, and MORE USER input ( phantom will drift a bit in this mode, as it is up to YOU to keep it in position in space )
    In GPS normal, the GPS keeps it stationary in space !

Flight mode ( S1 toggle DOWN )
    RTH - Pilot initiated RTH. ( return to home )

( flip S1 toggle up and down 8-10 times to recalibrate Magnetic Compass )

In NAZA-M mode ( first flight instructions ):
    1. Do a compass cal if necessary!
    2. With it powered off, place P2V on the ground facing the right-stick-forward direction you want for course lock.
    ( face phantom left from controller, or right, or any direction you want for FORWARD MOMENTUM or corse lock ) if you want NORMAL CONTROL, face phantom AWAY OR CAMERA AWAY from you ( Tx )
    ( this way forward is forward, left is left, ect ! )
    3. With both S1 and S2 in the topmost positions, power on the controller first, the extender second, and the P2V third. NOW WATCH THE P2V FLIGHT LEDs!!!
    4. The flight LEDs will blink a fast green sequence when the course direction is stored. This happens in the first 15-20 seconds for me. Then they return to either slow flashing green indicating less than 6 satellites, or an alternating red-red-red-green, red-red-green, red-green for more than 6 satellites.
    5. The flight LEDs will blink a fast green sequence again when home position is stored. This will only occur after 6 or more satellites lock, so it will then return to slow flashing green. This may take up to a minute depending on your satellite visibility. DO NOT TAKE OFF UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU HAVE THE HOME POSITION ESTABLISHED!!
    6. If you looked away and are not sure if you got the home position, you can re-establish home with rapid switching (5 to 10) of S2 from position 1 to 3.( explained above ) You will know it got another home position because the lights will flash rapid green then return to slow green.
    7. During steps 4,5, and maybe 6, or after, you can establish the wifi connection to the extender on your FPV device and run the app if not already running.
    8. Once you have verified all is OK in the app, perform the CSC,( sticks down and together ) and take off quickly. Meaning don't be a wuss about leaving the ground. Just pop it up quickly and hover, or just race away in whatever direction you intend.

This method has not failed me, and the P2V followed the correct course and home lock paths, and RTHed to the correct location when needed.

( WARNING: use extreme caution when messing with toggles above )

Fixes:
    BELOW was a problem I had and solved:

( My FIRST post )
    ( FPV )
    I have a new ( 2 months old ) f2v, ( phantom 2 Vision ) everything was going good for several flights, but now my fpv is 6-8 seconds behind actual flight? I tried charging all batteries, nothing, i rebooted my Iphone 4s, nothing changed, so i went to dji.com, and updated, my phantom, controler, and camera, still same problem? Flight is ok, as long as you are in line of sight, but FPV IS USELESS. Any ideas?

Jerry D.
    Usa

( My SECOND post )
    Ok,
    Just had a thought, I was flipping through my iPhone, and went to App Store to see if I could update my app, and I noticed it automatically updated 4 days ago( about the same time this all started ) HMMMMMNM? so I'm going to delete the app and reinstall, will keep you posted!

Jerry D
    USA
    ( J Dot. )

( My FINAL post )

Re:FPV Delay?

OK FOLKS,
    Problem SOLVED!
    ( I BELIEVE THE AUTO-UPDATE caused a firmware conflict )

1) I deleted and reinstalled the DJI APP
    2) changed my PREVIEW SETTING TO: ( under settings in app )
    ( 640x480 15fps )
    3) Problem solved ( I still want to field test ) but worked fine for 5 minutes or so no delay or glitching!
    ( NOTE: I did start with a lower setting ( 320x240 15fps ) but found picture quality was poor ( FPV view only ) actual footage is fine
    So I moved to 320x240 30fps was better, but 640x480 15fps was my iPhone 4s's sweet spot, when I tried to push it to ( 640x480 30fps DELAYS started and gradually got worse as time passed! So switched back to 640x480 15fps.

( the lower the setting the longer the range but lesser quality FPV , the higher the setting the less the range but better quality FPV )

I have a completely stock Phantom 2 vision
    Running latest firmware and drivers, I use an iPhone 4s,
    I'm running full 1080p ( medium width )
    And and previewing at ( 640x480 15fps )
    ( I added a GPS tracker to my phantom 2 Vision as we'll )
    IN CASE OF FLY AWAY!
    Seems to be doing good! Will keep you updated!

Jerry D
    USA
    ( J Dot )

( PROPER procedure BEFORE and AFTER ( crash, fly-away, or any other strange thing happens )

Hello,
    Ok here is the proper procedure ( in case on incident ) ( fly-a-way, crash, hard landing, or anything beyond user ( your ) control! )

First thing you want to do is ( BEFORE EVENT HAPPENS IF POSSIBLE ) ie: before crash, fly-a-way, ect.
    1) hook phantom to PC ( PC running newest assistant & driver software )
    2) under TOOLS PAGE, you'll see a bunch of info, make notes of all this below
    1) gyroscope ( x=? , y=? , z=? & mod=? ) you enter your values for ?'s
    ( note: the values will constantly change, just use ballpark, example, say value is changing from 0.0-0.2, you might make the value ( 0.1 ) average or ballpark, your best educated guess! It will be close enough!
    2) accelerometer ( x=? , y=? , z=?, & mod=? ) again use your values for ?'s
    And finally
    Compass ( x=? , y=? , z=? & mod=? )
    Write them down, and save them

Now if a crash occurs, or other strange phenomenon happens, you can hook to PC, and compare notes!
    The ones you wrote down, compared to new values after ( mishap )
    This may help you find what went wrong to cause mishap, or simply user error?

( this is done by checking values of axis and mods. )
    ( example: say all looks good BUT X axis on accelerometer is positive 3.4 ( normal is .98-1.02 ) this tells you: you had a sudden forward or positive momentum beyond default values, so possible solution ( front motor bad, maybe bad front speed control ) or IMU out of calibration? Something caused it to lunge forward?) on other hand if the value was negative or below average values, you had negative or reverse motion on x axis ( now maybe rear motor bad or rear speed control bad? Or IMU CAL. )
    X= forward + / reverse - axis
    Z= right + / left - axis
    Y= up + / down - axis

Hope this helps to clarify things for you guys!
    If I think of anything else, I will post!

Fly safe, and have fun!

Jerry D
    USA
    ( J Dot )
    Last edited by iDrone; 04-18-14 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Make title concise prior to Move

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry

Many thanks for taking the time to put together and post such a massive collection of information for newcomers to read about understanding the options and settings for the Phantom Vision. I wish something like this had existed when I was starting out. I am sure as more and more people come to the forum they will find it very useful. Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Shrimpy
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another helpful thread. Although the P2V is advertised as Ready To Fly (RTF), the longer we have them and the more learn about them, the more it becomes clear that there is much to learn/know regards their proper care and feeding.

It's become clear to me that the majority of folks who post in various forums have no real understanding of how much is going on in our little aircraft. Having done electrical design work in the early part of my career, and having worked in both manufacturing and telecommunications industries, I have a notion of how difficult it is to make something work well in every situation it might encounter. Every time I see an "all they have to do is ..." comment, I just cringe. My reaction is always ... if it's so damn simple, then YOU do it.

Of course DJI can be faulted for not having done the best job of documentation, but the reality is their product is good enough that we want it anyway ... and that's where the user community steps in.

4. #4 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry,
    Thank you for taking time doing a thorough work through.
    the gimbal gain feature is not on the ver 3.6 Assistant,are you using the 3.4 ver?
    Jimmy

5. #5 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jimmy,
    Yes it was an older version assistant, as I posted nearly a year ago, I found myself a little lost, with very little help, so I decided to learn and teach others
    They like to change versions of firmware/software a lot, but at least they inform you of these changes, in their newest software/firmware updates if you
    Go to dji.com, I recently updated my phantom 2 vision WITHOUT reading about the update first, and was a victim of low batt RTH feature, I thought it was flying away, for a bit before I realized it was doing what it was supposed to do! Lol.

My fault.

Take care, fly safe!

J Dot

6. #6 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry,
    Can the IMU calibration be done indoor or has to be outside an open field like the compass calibration?

Jimmy

7. #7 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello again Jimmy,
    The IMU should be calibrated indoors. On a wooden table ( preferably ) make sure the phantom is good and stable ( not wobbling around ) PROPS OFF, turn on PC assistant, turn on range extender, and controller, then finally phantom, perform IMU CAlibration, it is also a good idea to do a controller calibration as well, you might get a IMU TOO HOT WARNING, just click through it, it will work, and finally a fresh compass cal before first flight!

Take care, fly safe!
    Good luck

J Dot

8. #8 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry,
    Do I need to worry about storing my drone in the car trunk when most of the time all the car have stereo speakers in the hat tray, will it affect my compass setting?

Jimmy

9. #9 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello again Jimmy,
    Magnets are a compass's worst enemy, lol. There have been issues in the past where someone transported their phantom , behind front seat, next to door speaker ( usually aftermarket speakers , unusually large magnets, sub-woofers ) and when they tried to fly, compass was weirded out, simple recal usually fixes it, but now and again, threw the compass so far out of whack, they had to reset compass ( search " resetting compass dji " on YouTube! ) if it ever happens. Anyhow, as long as the phantom is not right next to or touching the speaker magnet, should be fine. I always transport mine in a hard case ( I know not everyone has a case, but they are so cheap now, DEFINATELY worth having one, just for safety, and most important, dust, dirt, ect! I open mine after every several flights to blow the dust, debris out, amazing how much accumulates inside of phantom, especially when you dirt, sand launch! Worth keeping an eye on! But honestly, if you have had no problems, trunk transporting, I would not worry about it, magnet interference is very rare, you might want to watch the video above, on compass reset, see how hard Collin tries to mess it up, several tries, with strong magnet touching compass, but he does finally mess it up bad, then fixes! Pretty informative, well hope this helps!

Take care, fly respectfully!

Your friend,
    J Dot

10. #10 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry,
    thank you for the reply, regarding the QR code, the manual said it is on the bottom of the drone, other said it is on the box, and both codes looked different, which one should I scan?

Jimmy

11. #11 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jimmy,
    The QR code is on the BOX!
    When binding, make sure you click the ( BLUE CHECK ) top right screen. Easy to miss, and won't take, if you don't click it.

Take care, fly safe!

J Dot

12. #12 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry
    I plan to buy an IPAD, can I use DJI Vision app simultanously with my Android phone?

Jimmy

13. #13 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jimmy,
    I believe, android and IOS , use different apps, due to their different operating systems. I've never had android devices, I only buy IOS Apple stuff ( only because I know everything about them ) but a couple things I need to share with you, I have 2 iPads, ( one ipad2 , one is an ipad3 ), and have 2 iPhone 4s's ( 1 64gb, 1 16gb ) I use all with my phantom. BUT ( the iPads are EXTREMELY HARD TO SEE ANYTHING ON THEM in sunlight, even hard to see in shade ( again mine are a bit older ) maybe the new ones are better ( I reccomend a mini ) as the big ones become quite heavy after a while . Plus the minis have a screen like the phones. Easier to see stuff.
    Secondly, they sell a holder on eBay, that fits iPad to controller, no modding, fits right on ball, only costs $20 or so. I'll try to find a link for you, also ( Shapeways.com ) has some cool items as well.
    To answer your question, I do not think they will work at the same time, but will work either/or. But I have never tried, so I could be wrong? Hope this helps! Take care

J Dot
    Take care, Fly safe!

14. #14 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jerry,
    I plan to put the IPad on a tripod to ease the weight , I found from Amazon a product named Summitlink. But if you have a chance to try out the IPad and IPhone please let me know if it worked.
    Thank you for your help
    Jimmy