Thread: 3/4 Mile Club

1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

3/4 Mile Club

This afternoon I pulled out my multimeter and checked the strength of each battery in transmitter. I found them to be on the lower side so I popped in a fresh set. And it made more of a performance gain then 1st thought. I actually was able to achieve a new personal best on max altitude. I of coarse recorded the event, but from 1700ft on up the view was hazy from getting rain right at sun own in surrounding counties from the one I live in. I have always felt that a lining of clouds, and haze, both contribute to better signal between devices. I can reach heights in the 3000ft range with a cloudy sky in the evening, and then go out the next morning with no clouds anywhere, and struggle to reach 1500ft. Anyway, I was all excited to watch the playback of the video, but when I did it was a let down. Kind if like I was inside a cloud, or like if the lens was fogged up.

4076best.jpg

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    A nit-picking point - you said you checked the voltage in each battery. There was no need to check more than one as they are in circuit and will always be the same.

Suspect everyone knows this but never use rechargeable in the tx as they operate at a lower voltage than spec.
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

3. #3 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mmmm- not sure about this. Might not tick all the boxes for positive media- as per your other topic.

As to your disappointing video- all is not lost. I will wager that there exists a radar log of your mission

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh yes i think there will be more said on this topic 3/4 mile very impressive i must say BUT
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, My batteries came from an existing pile I had just took them from not even 1 hour before. That is what prompted me to grab the multimeter. Two were 1.38 and the others were 1.44. The new ones were 1.65.

diskv, tick boxes? Is there something to this, or were you slamming me?

6. #6 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    No Frank, I am not slamming you.

I just have reservations on high altitude missions. If these were range experimentation, that could be carried out laterally.

It is probably a location based perspective- but to undertake such a mission here in London, negative media would be certainly the result.

I suspect that hand cuffs would also figure!

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hand cuffs! So that explains why the fellas in your area are not as receptive to the idea. I have had some from your area show me negativity over it. And I really have a hard time understanding why that would happen when I'm not from where you are. Even so, I doubt I would stick my nose into it if I lived where you do and my neighbor was doing it. I would probably be like, more power to ya knowing that as long as he was doing it all eyes would be on him and not me. I go to other websites when I get the chance, and I see numerous discussions of people talking about flying about the 400ft zone. And the thing is, I know those from your area go to those websites as well, and see the very threads I'm referring to. But...I don't see much taking place where those from your area speaking out about it in those threads. I think there has been a time maybe when something may have been said, but those websites probably let it be known someone is wasting time trying to make a change over it.

I want our members to speak up and speak their mind regardless of what the subject is. But all in the same token, try to use some common sense. Like use my situation for an example. Don't be upset with me that I live in a area where they are not using hand cuffs on such matters. There is a organization here in the US that is doing everything they can to get our copter use shut down. And some of those in that organization are so obsessed that some have been caught posing as hobbyist and take copter's to areas knowing they can cause a bad image. Apparently the FAA knows this group is involved with this type of stuff and has some to do with why the FAA has not been in any hurry to get restrictions in place. Personally, I don't agree with it. I wish the FAA would at least at a minimum get safety related restrictions in place. And in case you're wondering, if the FAA says no more Moon Traveling Mr. Frank. I will gladly switch over to the horizontal missions.

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    if we did that in Australia we to would be in cuffs i know you are in an area that is possible safe frank BUT what happens if a chopper is flying low and hit your quad so who is the person they would throw in jail the chopper pilot or you , mind it dont take it that im picking on you im not just speaking my mind everywhere you look they are talking about crazy people flying way to high, me i think and its only my opinion you are crazy and are doing more harm than good in flying that high and i dont care if you are the owner or not you said it was open to discussion well this is my feelings , people who fly that high in my opinion all they are doing is causing more problems
    pete
    boot me if you need to sorry
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

9. #9 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, it is not the possibility of hand cuffs that prevents [sensible] UK fliers from attempting these high fly missions.

Here on the outskirts of London commercial craft are often seen at around 3000 ft., private planes at circa 2000 ft., and emergency helicopters much lower.

So very simple risk assessment DEMANDS restraint.

And you are correct, we UK flyers have, generally, given up on commenting on the antics of our friends across the pond.

Finally, to be 'FRANK'- I think a forum elder should lead by example. Now let's talk about copters!

10. #10 Top |
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

3/4 Mile Club

if anyone has beaten or has call o duty 4 theres this level called the mile high club and if anyone has a xbox360 and read the acheveable discription it says,"Sky dive to safety on Veteran difficulty"well theres a big problam ...EASIER SAID THEN DONE has anyone got that achevment?