1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Autonomous waypoint flying now available for Vision Series

Vision/Vision Plus app upgrade now available for iOS and Android to allow autonomous waypoint flying. You must upgrade to the latest 3.04 firmware to be able to use it. Explanatory video on the DJI website and a new user manual has been published with details.

Initial reports are that it works, but as we guessed it's limited. Example - no yaw control when flying a waypoint mission, only tilt and camera controls are available, aircraft only flies nose-forward, waypoints can only be set within a 500m control area.

I haven't test flown it yet and won't be able to until Thursday, but I've played with the app (which looks slick on Android at least). Apart from a test-flight as proof of concept I'm not sure I'll be using it much as the missions can't be saved or repeated once you've exited the app...

(Oh and hello again, by the way - been a bit busy!)

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Strange you cannot save missions so that you can refine them if necessary. The closest to it I am going to get is to watch Simon's video review !
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks like they are acting like big brother and putting limits on everything why cant we the owners set what limits we want to be used
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mclachlan View Post
    looks like they are acting like big brother and putting limits on everything why cant we the owners set what limits we want to be used
    Yes, the waypoint functionality comes with too high a price in terms of restrictions. Time for more competition to emerge in this marketplace ? .....
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to ignore this functionality for now. I don't think it offers anything yet to the more serious videographer and the big downside is that the new firmware effectively downgrades your quads other flight features. No thanks DJI. I do hope they fix those issues though.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    me to i will not be upgrading i think that another company needs to step up i wouldn't take much to knock DJI off there perch and it would really make them sit up and listen to us the people who buy there products

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I added it and did just one mission to get the feel of it. I posted pic's in the vPlus forum which was before most had access to the app. I did only a 3 way point mission and kept it with in my back yard. I had 1st experimented with in my house withe the copter near a window to help with gps reception. I got to the end of setting it up with the only thing to do was select Go. I didn't have the copter running so I went ahead with selecting Go, and I'll be damned if it didn't start and began increasing rpms. I ran across the room and looped my finger around the landing gear and pressed the button on the battery.
    I go outside and run my mini mission. I had set each way point to have a different height to help with watching it run it's coarse. It was over with in no time, well, it went just as it was programmed to. When it reached the last way point position, it will sit there and hover until you manually take over and land it, or set another mission. A red flag for me was you can not Yaw the copter at any point without pausing the mission. You can only controll the up & down movement of the camera. Another res flag is, you are limited to 1640ft out from home point which shows up on the screen in a green color. JI mentions a 3.1 mile limit, but it's not possible. They say they limit it to 500m to help with any reception issues.

So as I say, if you could control the yaw of the copter while in a mission, this feature would be great for Pic's or Video. But since it don't, it's nothing more then a novelty in my opinion.

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep must say have read a lot of posts on other forums and that's what most pilots are saying DJI seem to want to control everything why the hell when we buy something do they then go and put limitations on it
    just my 2 bobs worth

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    DJI probably refers to this as their mini version and only wants to use it as a teaser to draw us into the PC Ground Station version. Btw, this does look like a cool setup. I have been wanting to fly from my laptop for some time now. $199.

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even more flexible if you own an iPad and get the BTU and iOS GS app - you can set everything up in the field without lugging a laptop...

11. #11 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull_Up View Post
    Even more flexible if you own an iPad and get the BTU and iOS GS app - you can set everything up in the field without lugging a laptop...
    I have a ipad. I wonder if users are having any major issue with this setup?

Btw, so nice to see you once again, Simon.

12. #12 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok can you yaw with the full ipad version and are there any limits or is it open season withit