Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Install OpenWRT WebUI on Repeater/P2V+

Also see how to enable FPV WiFi Encryption in this thread
    Also see how to enable Camera to Repeater WiFi Encryption in this thread

Here's a quick how-to I put together on installing a WebUI for managing the P2V+ and Repeater. Doing so enables you to *easily* adjust any networking/wifi aspect you desire!
    Presentation: WebUI Install for DJI P2V+ and Repeater

Screencast: YouTube

Happy to answer any question!
    LK
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ## Disclaimer
    • The instructions provided here are provided as-is and with no warranty expressed or implied.
    • You are responsible for any issues that arise from following these instructions.
    • **** Follow at your own risk! ****

## Quick Explanation
    • The DJI Phantom 2 Vision/Vision+ and DJI FPV WiFi Repeater both operate a free and opensource WiFi ROM called ‘OpenWRT’
    • Because OpenWRT supports many different routers and platforms, and is a VERY common ROM, there are LOTs of packages available for installation.
    • The procedure outlined here will provide a means of connecting your DJI gear to the internet and download/install some of these extra packages.
    • We will be using port-forwarding to accomplish this, along with some simple modifications on the DJI gear.
    • This guide intends to be step-by-step, so even if you’re not familiar with the technology, you should be able to accomplish some quick tasks.

## Prerequisites
    • A computer with both WiFi and Wired internet capability
    • An available WIRED internet connection with an IP range NOT using 192.168.1.x
    • An SSH client (either the built in one on Linux / Mac OSX, or PuTTy on Windows)

## NOTE
    • This document uses IP 192.168.1.2 which is the IP of the DJI FPV WiFi Repeater.
    • However these instructions can be applied to the DJI Phantom 2 Vision/Vision+ as well.
    • Simply substitute 192.168.1.1 in place of references to 192.168.1.2.

## Preparation
    1. Power on your:
      • Repeater
      • DJI Controller
      • Phantom 2 Vision/Vision+

2. Connect to your Repeater's WiFi with your computer
    3. AFTER you're connected via WiFi to the repeater, Plug in your Wired Internet Connection
    4. Verify Internet Access (Go to your LEAST favorite web-site - i.e. One that won't be cached by your browser)
    5. Verify Repeater Access (Go to http://192.168.1.2, you should get a 404 or similar page)

## Installing Web GUI on your Repeater and/or Phantom Vision/Vision+
    [LIST=1][*]Linux/Mac OSX: In a terminal window, issue: ssh root@192.168.1.2
    Windows: Launch PuTTy, in the 'Host Name' field, enter: root@192.168.1.2
    Password: 19881209[*] Issue the following commands in the remote SSH session:
    • For the repeater (IP 192.168.1.2)
      Code:
      /etc/init.d/lighttpd stop
      /etc/init.d/lighttpd disable
    • For the Phantom (IP 192.168.1.1)
      Code:
      /etc/init.d/uhttpd stop
    • For both:
      Code:
      echo 127.0.0.1 downloads.openwrt.org openwrt.org >> /etc/hosts
    • Establish the remote port forward:
      • On Linux/Mac OSX:
        Code:
        exit
        ssh -g -R 80:downloads.openwrt.org:80 root@192.168.1.2
        Password: 19881209
      • On Windows via PuTTy:
        1. Right click the title bar of the PuTTy Window
        2. Click 'Change Settings'
        3. Click the + beside 'SSH' under 'Connection' (to expand the SSH section)
        4. Click 'Tunnels'
        5. Select 'Remote' in the lower right section of the Dialog
        6. For 'Source port', enter '80'
        7. For 'Destination', enter 'downloads.openwrt.org:80'
        8. Click 'Add'
        9. Click 'Apply'

• In the remote SSH session, now issue:
      Code:
      opkg update
      opkg remove firewall3
      opkg install luci
      /etc/init.d/uhttpd enable
      ( An updated firewall package is installed with the WebUI which will conflict and fail if the old one is not removed first! )
    • Remove the remote port forward:
      Code:
      exit
    • Linux/Mac OSX: In a terminal window, issue: ssh root@192.168.1.2
    • In the remote SSH session, issue:
      Code:
      /etc/init.d/uhttpd start
      exit
    • In your browser, go to: http://192.168.1.2
      • You should see the LuCI Web Interface after a short pause.
      • Username: root
      • Password: 19881209
      • Some have reported that the redirect to the LuCI WebUI never occurs. If after a few seconds you don't see a login page, use this URL instead: http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci

Last edited by linuxkidd; 06-26-14 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added screencast / fixed some steps..
    Platform: P2V+
    Hardware mods:
    - Ext Antennas on Tx Controller and WiFi Repeater
    - Tagg PetTracker
    Software mods:
    - WebUI Install
    - WPA2 AES PSK Encrypted End-to-End
    - Root password changed (SSH in, type 'passwd') - Note: This will break the V+ Booster app..
    - Set to HT40 (for extra bandwidth)
    - WiFi Channel 6

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few questions.

1. How to check if 192.168.1.2 is open?
    2. If 192.168.1.2 is already in use, what's suggested to make it open?`
    3. Is OpenWRT downloadable software?
    4. In the Quick Explanations you mention "Available Packages". Can you better explain what these available packages are, or might be?

Thanks for all the work and time you have put into this.

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok thanks heaps I'm willing to give it a go
    pete
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adams View Post
    A few questions.

1) How to check if 192.168.1.2 is open?
    2) If 192.168.1.2 is already in use, what's suggested to make it open?
    I'm afraid I don't understand the question.. but let me try to provide some explanation that may help:
    • 192.168.1.2 is simply the address of the Repeater. So, since it's in use, it's inherently not 'open'.
    • One thing we are freeing up (making open) is Port 80 on the Repeater/P2V+. By default, lighttpd (a web server) is listening on that port which means that no other software can run on it. We need to disable lighttpd and enable uhttpd (a different web server, but used by the webUI).

If I've totally missed the question, please let me know..

3) Is OpenWRT downloadable software?
    Yes, OpenWRT, DD-WRT, Tomato.. These are 3 VERY common open-source Router firmware releases. I've got another portable router running OpenWRT, and 2 other routers, one running DD-WRT and the other Tomato. Each variety offers very similar features, etc.. it's just a matter of what's the most stable on each hardware device.

DJI chose to use OpenWRT because it's VERY small and easily customizable for their purpose. They can install *only* what's needed to make the Phantom/Repeater operate on the network.

4) In the Quick Explanations you mention "Available Packages". Can you better explain what these available packages are, or might be?
    Sure.. Because OpenWRT is very customizable, it has a lot of different software features that are installable (or that you can leave out to make it super light-weight). One useful example for anyone trying to hack the communications between the Phone app and the P2V+ is 'tcpdump'. This little tool allows you to capture ALL the network traffic flowing between the Phone and the P2V+ so that you can later look at it in depth to decode what it's doing.

You can see a full list of available packages at: Index of /snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/. But, there's a TON of them, and most won't make any sense to someone not familiar with the inner workings of Linux and/or routers. Googling the package name will often point you to the software's website, a Wikipedia article, or another forum talking about its use if you're super curious.

Thanks for all the work and time you have put into this.
    Sure thing! I enjoy the heck outta this stuff...
    LK
    Hardware mods:
    - Tagg PetTracker
    Software mods:
    - WebUI Install
    - Root password changed (SSH in, type 'passwd') - Note: This will break the V+ Booster app..
    - WiFi Channel 6

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those following the thread... I've added a screencast video and tweaked a few steps which I found to be different between the P2V+ and it's repeater... (first how-to was all from memory.. )

Enjoy!
    LK
    Hardware mods:
    - Tagg PetTracker
    Software mods:
    - WebUI Install
    - WiFi Channel 6

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks have done this took me a while not that computer savvy but with a little help from a friend we got there
    thank you for all your effort
    pete
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Possible cellular data relay for FPV?

Quote Originally Posted by linuxkidd View Post

Here's a quick how-to I put together on installing a WebUI for managing the P2V+ and Repeater. Doing so enables you to *easily* adjust any networking/wifi aspect you desire!
    Thanks for the great info! I just got my Phantom 2 Vision and I'm already poking at the possibility of relaying the FPV data through a cellular data platform such as a Verizon JetPak or some such device. (Network engineering is my real job that pays for flying doo-dads...) Your info posted here feeds very well into routing the packets through a cell providers network down to the FPV viewing platform. Have you ever come across a use case like this? Not sure how much the latency would impact the usability or stability of streaming video but I think it's worth a shot. Let me know what you think! Thanks again!
    - William

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mahoneyw View Post
    Thanks for the great info! I just got my Phantom 2 Vision and I'm already poking at the possibility of relaying the FPV data through a cellular data platform such as a Verizon JetPak or some such device. (Network engineering is my real job that pays for flying doo-dads...) Your info posted here feeds very well into routing the packets through a cell providers network down to the FPV viewing platform. Have you ever come across a use case like this? Not sure how much the latency would impact the usability or stability of streaming video but I think it's worth a shot. Let me know what you think! Thanks again!
    - William
    0) Feasibility: it's technically possible.. but here's some things to accelerate your efforts:
    - Your phone must be connected to a WiFi network named 'Phantom_*'.. At least with the older versions of the DJI Vision app. Otherwise, the app won't try to load up the camera
    - The connection must make use of a VPN with a routed 192.168.1.x network
    + The reason on this is that the DJI Vision app is hard coded to look for 192.168.1.1 as the phantom, and 192.168.1.10 as the camera. The repeater (192.168.1.2) is less important overall, it'll just not show repeater battery strength, etc.
    - Also, the Phantom expects a link and communication with 192.168.1.2. It tests this connectivity and resets the WiFi radio after a few seconds (30? 60? don't recall) if it's not gotten a link.
    - The repeater is set to 'Client (WDS)'. This means that if you want to use the repeater for it's wifi network name, you'll need to at least change the WiFi mode to WiFi AP or 'Client' (no - WDS). Reason is that the repeater, while in WDS mode will not fire up the Phantom_* wifi network until it gets a link to the Phantom (or whatever AP it's configured for).

1) Usability: There are 2 main issues: Latency and Bandwidth
    - There's a good amount of latency in cellular data. Minimum 40ms per link. Since you're using 1 link on the Phantom, and 1 link on the phone.. you're going to add minimum of 80ms latency. That's on a very good LTE or XLTE link. It only gets worse from there. Even with this latency.. FPV flight will be problematic, but just don't fly to close or too fast near anything you may have to avoid..
    - The bandwidth (at least that I've tested on VZW LTE) tops out around 10 to 15 mbps upstream. Again, this is with a strong signal. 320x240 at 15fps would fit easily inside this upstream limit, but if you're in weaker areas, bandwidth will become suspect.

2) Stability: With a nice strong signal, it should be plenty stable. But, as signal drops, the stability will definitely become problematic.

Good luck, and hope this helps...
    LK
    Hardware mods:
    - Tagg PetTracker
    Software mods:
    - WebUI Install
    - WiFi Channel 6

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=linuxkidd;1676]Also see how to enable FPV WiFi Encryption in this thread
    Also see how to enable Camera to Repeater WiFi Encryption in this thread

Screencast: YouTube

Happy to answer any question!
    LK
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ## Disclaimer
    • The instructions provided here are provided as-is and with no warranty expressed or implied.
    • You are responsible for any issues that arise from following these instructions.
    • **** Follow at your own risk! ****

## Quick Explanation
    • The DJI Phantom 2 Vision/Vision+ and DJI FPV WiFi Repeater both operate a free and opensource WiFi ROM called ‘OpenWRT’
    • Because OpenWRT supports many different routers and platforms, and is a VERY common ROM, there are LOTs of packages available for installation.
    • The procedure outlined here will provide a means of connecting your DJI gear to the internet and download/install some of these extra packages.
    • We will be using port-forwarding to accomplish this, along with some simple modifications on the DJI gear.
    • This guide intends to be step-by-step, so even if you’re not familiar with the technology, you should be able to accomplish some quick tasks.

## Prerequisites
    • A computer with both WiFi and Wired internet capability
    • An available WIRED internet connection with an IP range NOT using 192.168.1.x
    • An SSH client (either the built in one on Linux / Mac OSX, or PuTTy on Windows)

## NOTE
    • This document uses IP 192.168.1.2 which is the IP of the DJI FPV WiFi Repeater.
    • However these instructions can be applied to the DJI Phantom 2 Vision/Vision+ as well.
    • Simply substitute 192.168.1.1 in place of references to 192.168.1.2.

## Preparation
    1. Power on your:
      • Repeater
      • DJI Controller
      • Phantom 2 Vision/Vision+

2. Connect to your Repeater's WiFi with your computer
    3. AFTER you're connected via WiFi to the repeater, Plug in your Wired Internet Connection
    4. Verify Internet Access (Go to your LEAST favorite web-site - i.e. One that won't be cached by your browser)
    5. Verify Repeater Access (Go to http://192.168.1.2, you should get a 404 or similar page)

## Installing Web GUI on your Repeater and/or Phantom Vision/Vision+
    [LIST=1][*]Linux/Mac OSX: In a terminal window, issue: ssh root@192.168.1.2
    Password: 19881209[*] Issue the following commands in the remote SSH session:
    • For the repeater (IP 192.168.1.2)
      Code:
      /etc/init.d/lighttpd stop
      /etc/init.d/lighttpd disable
    • For the Phantom (IP 192.168.1.1)
      Code:
      /etc/init.d/uhttpd stop
    • For both:
      Code:
      echo 127.0.0.1 downloads.openwrt.org openwrt.org >> /etc/hosts
    • Establish the remote port forward:
      • On Linux/Mac OSX:
        Code:
        exit
        ssh -g -R 80:downloads.openwrt.org:80 root@192.168.1.2
      • On Windows via PuTTy:
        1. Right click the title bar of the PuTTy Window
        2. Click 'Change Settings'
        3. Click the + beside 'SSH' under 'Connection' (to expand the SSH section)
        4. Click 'Tunnels'
        5. Select 'Remote' in the lower right section of the Dialog
        6. For 'Source port', enter '80'
        7. For 'Destination', enter 'downloads.openwrt.org:80'
        8. Click 'Add'
        9. Click 'Apply'

• In the remote SSH session, now issue:
      [code]
      opkg update

so far ok."
    but when i try to update i get that response "Collected errors: * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

what is wrong?

11. #11 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher007 View Post
    so far ok.
    but when i try to update i get that response "Collected errors: * opkg_download: Failed to download 404 Not Found, wget returned 1.

what is wrong?
    OpenWRT has changed their directory structure. Please see step 4 of installation as documented at Install WebUI | PhantomMods

Thanks,
    LK
    Hardware mods:
    - Tagg PetTracker
    Software mods:
    - WebUI Install
    - WiFi Channel 6

12. #12 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you for your fast reply.
    i did it with the new way but still when i try to update opkg i get this
    ownloading 404 Not Found error getting response
    Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...ci/Packages.gz.
    wget: error getting response
    Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...nt/Packages.gz.
    Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...es/Packages.gz.
    Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...ng/Packages.gz.
    Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...ny/Packages.gz.
    Collected errors:
    * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...se/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
    * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...ci/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
    * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...nt/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
    * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...es/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
    * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...ng/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.
    * opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier...ny/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

what is wrong? do i need to do anything to the modem settings?
    and something else :
    when your video starts you write that both connections(wired and wireless ) wont be connected to the internet
    why? wired is gonna be connected (it is connected)
    sorry for my questions and thank you for your time

13. #13 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is the "404" which means those packages do not exist anymore... I had the exact same issue when I wanted to install wireless-tools package.

There is a work around... I just need to find it... Standby!

14. #14 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey LinuxKid

Regarding ht40...I've been looking at Wireless configuration [OpenWrt Wiki]
    Do you use ht40+ or ht40- ? and also which channel?

Not sure if I should use ht40+ and channel 1 or 6
    or ht40- and channel 11 or something

Did you try a few diff settings with h40 ? if so.. would be interested in your results.

Long as it loads back up I suppose :]

15. #15 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok i did it.probably that day i couldnt server was down. I want to ask you something else if you know.In the settings of wifi extender i can raise up the transmit power to up 27 dbm(550mw).The normal setting is about 100mw i think. is there a change of damage anything if i put it to the that setting?(the highest)
    And also another think: it says Channel Locked to channel 11 used by Client "FC200_xxxxx"which is the mac adress of the wifi extender....does that mean that the extender is connected to the wifi module? (you see my cam is damaged)