1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting with ATTI, then switching to GPS whilst flying

OK, I have a scenario where I have a long narrow avenue between two rows of plane trees which borders a canal.

Here's a pic of the scene taken from a bridge. The path is over on the left

_DSC9930.jpg

I'm guessing that the canopy of the trees over the path will prevent >6 satellite lock. So, I'm thinking of :

1. standing under open sky at one end of the avenue, (on a road and near a bridge)
    2. having a friend place the Phantom, with it's back to me, on the path way down the avenue
    3. taking off in ATTI mode (friend then vacates the path)
    4. flying down the avenue, in 'reverse', and therefore towards me
    5. when it reached me, ascending into clear sky until it's clear of the treetops
    6. hovering, switching to GPS and getting a home position locked in
    7. flying down the canal, away from me above the treesm and then back again in order to land.

The idea is that, if it goes tits up, I can then engage Failsafe and the Phantom will come back to me.

Is my thinking correct?
    Last edited by Peter Evans; 05-11-14 at 08:02 AM.
    www.peter-evans-photographer.com
    www.painting-photography-france.com

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your thinking is correct but that would not be my first strategy. Faced with the same I would

1. Place it somewhere near by with a clear view of the sky. Let it get a good GPS lock, take off and fly low level into position on the avenue. I reckon you will be surprised how well it can hold GPS lock under trees. I flew mine in fairly dense woods and it held GPS lock just fine. The reason I would do it this way is that should the worst happen and you need to use return to home its already been locked to a safe landing area before it takes off. If for some reason you suffer problems before establishing that lock it will have no idea where home is.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I follow your logic Ken, but I can't engage RTH whilst it's in the avenue, otherwise it's going to shoot up 20 metres into the trees.

But I'll certainly try your way first.

Thanks

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes agreed that would not be a good place, I was thinking more of once you send it off down across the river your covered and of course during your initial takeoff out in the open just incase it throws a wobbly. Down under the trees your on your own mate
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could use Course Lock? Once you lock the orientation it should track relatively accurately based on compass heading. You might need one or two goes to get a perfect direction to keep you central but you can set a new lock with judicious flicking of S2. Course lock doesn't require a satellite lock to operate...

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep thats an option. It scares the life out of me out in the open so I would freak if I tried it in a line of trees. Its the penalty I pay for hours spent learning to fly my helicopter in all attitudes. When I flick course lock on suddenly it does not react normally and I can't hack it What a wooos

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with course lock is that you will have to wait until you get a completely still day or your aircraft will drift. I cannot see that the leaves will completely block the gps signal but the tree trunks might. If it was me I would consider fitting some floats in case you end up in the canal - there are several threads on this on the other place. To me the canal poses the highest risk as you have two nice cameras attached !

Good luck - fortune favours the brave
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pault View Post
    To me the canal poses the highest risk as you have two nice cameras attached !
    Not two yet, Paul. I'm awaiting delivery of some 4mm CF tubing before I can do that

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your going to experience the jello effect on that Gopro soon. I came across a good video this morning which looks promising. Its the latest post in this thread.

http://forums.multicopterpilots.com/...read.php?t=181

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Evans View Post
    Not two yet, Paul. I'm awaiting delivery of some 4mm CF tubing before I can do that
    That explains the lack of posts on your RX thread on the other place - I have been waiting to see the results
    Have been thinking more about your planned footage and I agree with Shrimpfarmer that it might be risky flying in any other mode than GPS or atti because if things get hairy you will want to rely on instinctive stick inputs to get you out of any risk. It might not be the time to be in CL or HL where you have to think logically. I have been trying recently to photograph the houses in the Victorian park where I live and there are a lot of mature trees around, it is so easy to get into a panic induced situation. You can happily maintain metre perfect precision all day in an open field but as soon as you go into a confined space things change
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline