Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Best antenna orientation for Black Pearl and immersionRC 600?

I asked this question in another place, but had no response, so I thought I'd ask here :-)

Is there an optimum antennae orientation for the Black Pearl and an ImmersionRC 600 on the Phantom - i.e. should the antenna on the Phantom be horizontal or vertical (or angled even)? And same question for the two antennae on the Black Pearl.

I'm using the latter in Diversity mode, whatever that means!

I also have the thing set to Band F and Channel 4

I flew a couple of days ago, no more than 200 metres distance and 150 metres altitude, and I got some video break up even before I reached that distance, which surprised me.
    www.peter-evans-photographer.com
    www.painting-photography-france.com

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have one of these - good screen! I'm using a DJI AVL58 video tx which comes with a (rather short) cloverleaf-style antenna. I set one of the Black Pearl antennas to the horizontal and one to the vertical. Diversity mode means it should automatically use whichever receiver is giving the strongest signal.

Assuming the antenna on your tx is a stubby omnidirectional whip-type antenna, then it 's the same principle as the antennas on the control transmitter - the weakest point in the signal is at the tip. So orient them both so they are not tip-to-tip.

I find with my short cloverleaf (mounted at the rear, looking down) that if I'm orientated with the camera facing towards me then forward motion tilts the aircraft so the antenna is blocked by the gimbal. I'm thinking of fitting an alternative antenna with a longer cable on it so I can bring it down to near the bottom of the skids and clear the gimbal.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Peter

What antenna are you using ? If its the stock rubber ducks then they will not get you very far I am afraid. I would have them vertical on both the quad and Black Pearl.

Diversity mode is when you have two antenna on the BP. It then automatically switches reception to whichever antenna has the strongest signal. You can see which antenna it is currently using by the which blue LED is illuminated. Its quite common for it to switch back and forth often.

I use Fatshark antenna on the quad, and another on the BP. These are good for close in work as they are omnidirectional. They are not that much use at a distance though. I also have an antenna called a Blackhawk Micro on the second port of the BP. This antenna is directional and as long as your pointing at the quad it good for well over 2km. I often have mine 1km away from me.

These are my Fatsharks http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/immersi...t-v2-464-p.asp

This is my Blackhawk http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcomme...rod-rhcp-gold/

Note I bought the matched pair with gold contacts from Horizon FPV. I didn't get on well with the Nimrod and switched that back to using a Fatshark.

Hope this helps.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull_Up View Post
    I find with my short cloverleaf (mounted at the rear, looking down) that if I'm orientated with the camera facing towards me then forward motion tilts the aircraft so the antenna is blocked by the gimbal. I'm thinking of fitting an alternative antenna with a longer cable on it so I can bring it down to near the bottom of the skids and clear the gimbal.
    I changed the position of mine having watched some tests a guy on PP.com carried out. Mine now sticks out the left hand side of the quad and projects way beyond the legs. To be honest it still gets blocked by the gimbal at times but its better than when it was at the back. This is mine on the table of my mobile Phantom basecamp currently in the Lakes

IMG_0022.jpg
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dam I just realised their is a coffee mug in the shot, Pull_Up will kill me for breach of Trademark

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funnily enough I've just sent an email to Will at Horizon about repurposing one of his antennas I currently have with the AVL58. I've used other of his antennas and rate them and the service you get from Will. I think he's glued to his email inbox and is always keen to help. If you tell him what kit you have and what you want to achieve (quality, range, both!) he can suggest some well-matched options.

If he comes up with a setup that you fancy trying, Peter, then I've currently got a promotion code valid until 15th May that I negotiated with him to help celebrate 1000 people subscribing to my YouTube channel - 10% off for new customers, 20% off for returning ones. Code's in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5oRkLKprL8

Regarding Diversity mode on the Black Pearl, I've never seen it change from the left rx, Shrimpfarmer - but then again I haven't pushed it very far as I've only been testing the gimbal. I suspect if I went some distance it would start to hunt for a better signal, especially if I had two different antenna types like you...

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the prompt responses, guys.

My antennae are stock on both transmitter and monitor

Simon, our posts crossed. Thanks for that info, I'll look into it this evening.

Got to go repair the pool decking now. I've only had seven months to get ready for the new season which start on 17th May!
    Last edited by Peter Evans; 05-06-14 at 08:18 AM.

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I'm hoping to improve on... Stock antenna for reference.

Oh and a proper mug.

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    My BP changes to the Black Hawk after about 50m and rarely uses the Fatshark after that. Do you bath in that mug in front of the fire Pull_Up. Its similar in size to an American jacuzzi.

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we'll call that foreshortening... (see, I'm learning). Either that or I've only got tiny hands.

11. #11 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, I'd be OK with this kit?
    http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcomme...rod-rhcp-gold/
    and leave one of the stock BP antennae in place?

Will is recommending this http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcomme...gold-and-rhcp/ but I don't see the need for the third antenna, based on what you just said, Ken

12. #12 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been emailing Will about my setup and have asked him to pop over here and give us chapter, verse and a nice leather binding...

13. #13 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean he lives just down the road from you?

14. #14 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I meant post here as well as another place...

15. #15 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Evans View Post
    So, I'd be OK with this kit?
    http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcomme...rod-rhcp-gold/
    and leave one of the stock BP antennae in place?

Will is recommending this http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcomme...gold-and-rhcp/ but I don't see the need for the third antenna, based on what you just said, Ken
    I would go with Will's recommendation of the Black Pearl kit. I don't think he was offering that when I bought mine. I would certainly go with the longer shaft on the antenna on the quad. That was my main gripe with the one I had as it was too short for my liking. Ideally I would fit it so it pops out the side nice and clear.

I think you will be pleased with that set Peter.

You do need the 3rd antenna. When your quad goes overhead or is very close it will use that one instead. I would not like to fly with just the long range antenna.