1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Vision App for Phantom 2 Vision w/Waypoints (aka: GroundStation for Vision)

So... with the last Vision firmware update out (v2.0) and no despicable disasters or verified bugs reported so far, and our Phantom 2 non-vision brothers who just got their Datalink's & BTU's activated in the latest release of GroundStation for iPad, we patiently(?) wait for our turn:

"Additionally, a separate firmware and mobile phone App update will be released providing the Phantom 2 Vision with Ground Station capabilities including waypoint editing and autonomous waypoint navigation. The update will be released around the end of December or early January."

And just for clarification:
    Phantom 2 non-Vision: Requires hardware, Datalink's & BTU
    Phantom 2 Vision: No hardware required, uses existing Range Extender and your device (phone, tablet, pad) running soon-to-be-released Vision App w/Waypoints.

The latest rumor puts its release close to May/June. If you hear anything different post it here pretty please.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iDrone; 04-04-14 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Add DJI release note & screenshot

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    DJI's Facebook said 4-6 weeks for our app as at 31st March... But they've never hit a deadline yet!

3. #3 Top |
    Prop Installer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iDrone View Post

The latest rumor puts its release close to May/June. If you hear anything different post it here pretty please.
    What are your plans for the ground station app? What will you do different with autonomous flying? I understand what it is, but I'm interested to hear how others will use it...

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw704 View Post
    What are your plans for the ground station app? What will you do different with autonomous flying? I understand what it is, but I'm interested to hear how others will use it...
    Ditto!

After giving this some thought, I'm not so sure what the wow factor will be. As I understand way points they are set fixed locations. Btw, I'll admit I haven't read into this subject enough to be responding. But there are two things off the top of my head that I can think of that would beneficial to in using a ground station. The 1st is the increased resolution while in flight with FPV. And the 2nd would in using the way points to circle around a object while recording video. Like I could go around a city block in say New York City regardless of Antenna reception with remote controller.

5. #5 Top |
    Prop Installer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if it will have point of view mode. Will I be able to designate a point and fly in a circle around it, for example?

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Among other things I'm also a biker, so I'm hoping I can plot a course, launch Vision, and pickup some interesting overhead shots while riding the course.

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if it will have point of view mode. Will I be able to designate a point and fly in a circle around it, for example?
    It won't. If you want that you'll have to buy one of DJI's pro flight controllers like a WooKong or A2. I seriously doubt they'll ever dilute the value in their pro range by offering the advanced features down to the NAZA end - an A2 controller on its own is almost 1000 for example...

8. #8 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adams View Post
    Ditto!

After giving this some thought, I'm not so sure what the wow factor will be. As I understand way points they are set fixed locations. Btw, I'll admit I haven't read into this subject enough to be responding. But there are two things off the top of my head that I can think of that would beneficial to in using a ground station. The 1st is the increased resolution while in flight with FPV. And the 2nd would in using the way points to circle around a object while recording video. Like I could go around a city block in say New York City regardless of Antenna reception with remote controller.
    Frank there are flight patterns but no fixed way points - you can set them in all directions (battery permitting). It comes with 6 basic patterns you can alter or just make your own and save it. One of those patterns is a circle w/like 20 points - you could hit each one rotate, hover, etc - no preset aiming (yet) There is new pattern that is a search pattern back & forth in all directions (haven't tried that one yet) I've had mine a little over a week now and it was a little nerve racking first time or two but there is a certain coolness factor to it. Here's my first pass with it - note winds were gusts up to 12mph

Pegasus - Phantom 1.5, Futaba, Zenmuse, FPV, FPV-Japan DVR, IOSD mini, 2.4 Ground Station, Simensays
    Copter-Mobi - Xcam Kongcopter 450, Futaba, Zenmuse, FPV IOSD mini