1. #1 Top |
    Uses Prop guards
    Post Thanks / Like

How to charge a liPo that is below minimum volatage and won't charge.

Many modern battery chargers will not charge a battery under a minimum voltage. It's a safty feature to stop you charging say a 9volt battery on a 12 volt charge. I ran into this problem 2 months ago after receiving a Turnigy 2200 Mah they I bought of EBay. It arrived with one cell reading 1.79volts. Only having access to my original phantom charger I came up with this work around. Please if you do this you need to constantly monitor the voltage(through the balance tab) and never leave your charger unattended. Once the voltage is up to over about 9volts you can then charge the battery normally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes that's a old trick the plane boys use, BUT you have to be real careful that you keep a close eye on that battery
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never knew you could do that. Thanks for sharing.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyguy View Post
    Once the voltage is up to over about 9volts you can then charge the battery normally.
    We should emphasize this is the key and it doesn't take more than a few minutes to bring the battery up to this threshold so you can reconnect it to an automatic LiPo charger which will then accept it and resume normal charging.

And we should double-emphasize don't leave the battery unattended while manually charging...

image.jpg
    The battery can & will overcharge, overheat, and catch fire if left unattended manually charging.

image.jpg
    I guarantee you'll never do this again if it does. So don't walk away, take a leak, or take a call if you ever try this.

5. #5 Top |
    Uses Prop guards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely agree. Can't emphasise safety enough. I watched mine like a hawk the first five or so recharges. Constanly checking for deforming, increase in temp and voltage fluctuation.

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep seen quite a few lipo's go up in flames on the ground and in the air i lost a great plane a couple of years back a lipo just caught fire and gone $2000 worth of plane i hate the bloody things
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au

7. #7 Top |
    Uses Prop guards
    Post Thanks / Like
    The key is to ONLY charge this way until your charger can do it normally. About 9 volts seems to be the pick up point.