1. #1 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

Phantom2 GoPro and Wifi

g'day all, well i suppose i'm going to open a can of worms here , but i read with interest on many places that its dangerous to use your GoPro and wifi while flying to take pictures and videos , i would like to hear of anyone who has had a problem , ok i run a

Phantom 2
    GoPro Hero 3+
    DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
    Boscam RX-LCD5802 5.8Ghz Wireless FPV 7" Diversity LCD Screen Receiver Monitor
    Dji iosd mini
    DJI 5.8ghz Video Downlink
    Dji Controller with modified gimbal tilt pot

i have been using my wifi and gopro for quite a while now and to be honest i have never had a problem , no interference, or other problem is it just a hype from Dji so people but a vision , i dont know i fly planes using the gopro and wifi , also copters
    ok i will leave it to the floor
    thanks pete

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Folks love it when things are black & white and believe that, but because Vision uses a 2.4Ghz data link doesn't necessarily mean another nearby 2.4Ghz device won't work, such as a GoPro camera & KeyFob. Yes they're all operating in the 2.4Ghz band, but not on the same frequency, and not necessarily in the same mode (A,B,G,N), or in the same radiation polarization.

As they're RF transceivers, its best to keep their antennas from seeing much of eachother so they can cleanly listen to the ground equipment (Vision TX/Controller & GoPro KeyFob).

Further, the Vision's FPV & telemetry antennas are LHCP polarization while I believe the GoPro is not. So, you have even more isolation than you would if everything was linear vertical polarization as most wifi gear is.

I'd like to invite FPVLR and PVFlyer in for comment if they have their ears on. Bottom line, dont be afraid to experiment... and if it works lets try to enhance it.

Thanks for posting your experience successfully doing this. Good info.

3. #3 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Peter

If anyone asked me my reaction would have been NOOOOOOOOOO ! don't do it. Then I stopped and asked the question where is the evidence that you can't?

I have never tried it but you have and clearly several times without incident so that is evidence. It reminds me of posts when the great Fly Away fears were in full cry. You must never fly near a phone mast, electricity pylon, railway line. The places you could not fly just went on and on. I had my doubts about some of those. I have flown near all of them and everything has performed as expected. I do still look for electrical hazards before I take off but only to warn myself to be on the lookout for potential problems.

How many times have you tried this with the Gopro wifi turned on. Also what are you doing with the wifi and which device(s) are you using to control the camera.

It would be good to thrash this issue out once and for all. We must try and keep this thread evidence based though rather than just speculation.

Good post.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    hero 3+ wifi and a samsung S4 also have used Iphone 5 dont like i phones (apple big brother) i suppose 20 or more times , mainly use it so i can take still photos sometimes video but always controlled by samsung S4
    pete

5. #5 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok whatever you just said sounds fine with me , i'm just a truck driver, all that just bloody confused me lol

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! Here's food for thought and hopefully the RF guru's will join-in: everyday folks surf, talk, and stream live video from their celfone's while in a crowd of people say at a mall or airport for example.

Some are on wifi, others on cellular, yet almost no one has an issue making or receiving their calls, surfing the web, or streaming live video.

The design of wifi is such that it negotiates a connection to select the best channel, power, and sensitivity among other parameters to provide the best possible connection under the circumstances. Of course folks aren't holding their phones within 6 inches of each other like on a Phantom, but careful antenna orientation and antenna type may help two 2.4Ghz transceivers get along nicely w/o causing any problems.

Keep in mind too that the GoPro wifi has a limited range as its meant to be a simple remote control system. It would be fun to see FPVLR make a custom polarized antenna for the GoPro (we'd have to open one up) that's opposite in polarization to the Phantom 2's antenna.

7. #7 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know what you mean i fly planes and choppers also race off road large scale rc cars at some point there can be up to 40 2.4 ghz futaba and spektrum radios all operating at the same time and most drivers standing within a a foot or two of the next driver there can be at least 6 gopro's operating through wifi on smartphones so there mates can see how the race is going and they can also take still pics and videos when they want
    and we never have any problems

8. #8 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly ? for the similar Blade350 quad they say using the supplied go pro wifi remote is OK but not to use the wifi for live streaming

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    It would be good to thrash this issue out once and for all. We must try and keep this thread evidence based though rather than just speculation.

Good post.
    But, how does one test it? Because it would be handy for me to be able to keep the Wi-Fi on when I'm setting up my stills rig - not essential, but convenient.

However, I don't fancy sending up 2,500 euro's worth of gear just to see what happens and then suddenly have it go off by itself and eventually end up in the Garonne (one of France's four principal rivers) !
    www.peter-evans-photographer.com
    www.painting-photography-france.com

10. #10 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only one way, turn it on and fly. You could post on pp.com and ask for people to volunteer if they have done it also.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

11. #11 Top |
    Manual Reader
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I took my P2 Non Vision, GoPro, H3-3D out to the field.
    Turned on the Gopro Wifi and paired with the GoPro Remote Fob.
    Flew the P2 starting stopping video and taking stills using the GoPro remote.
    Used up 4 batteries flying the P2 using the GoPro WiFi like this and had NO issues.
    P2 flew as normal and all is now back home being charged up ready for the next outing.

Obviously the GoPro/P2 needs to be in range of the key fob to enable you to start/stop video or take stills. Did not test that range to the limit this time out.

So for me I shall use the GoPro WiFi with GoPro key Fob remote again without worrying about it messing up my flight.

12. #12 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good evidence its safe to use. Thanks for posting Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Today I took my P2 Non Vision, GoPro, H3-3D out to the field.
    Turned on the Gopro Wifi and paired with the GoPro Remote Fob.
    Flew the P2 starting stopping video and taking stills using the GoPro remote.
    Used up 4 batteries flying the P2 using the GoPro WiFi like this and had NO issues.
    P2 flew as normal and all is now back home being charged up ready for the next outing.

Obviously the GoPro/P2 needs to be in range of the key fob to enable you to start/stop video or take stills. Did not test that range to the limit this time out.

So for me I shall use the GoPro WiFi with GoPro key Fob remote again without worrying about it messing up my flight.

13. #13 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could also use the GoPro app on phone/tablet for even more control and a (very laggy) live preview. My personal concern was never control signal interference but rather control signal being overwhelmed by a strong, close WiFi signal. Thanks for testing this!

14. #14 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    well that's good to hear someone else backing me up , in my little black book it says i have done 80 battery recharges in that time and all of it was done with gopro hero 3+ on wifi using the app on my phone for me there is no other way its perfect
    pete
    Owner & operator of our own little hobby shop http://www.danielspitstop.com.au