1. #1 Top |
    Uses Prop guards
    Post Thanks / Like

Help! Needed with X1 Calibration

I recently re-installed the operating system on my PC. In the process of that, I lost the 1.08 Phantom Assistant software. (I've resolved this issue) I visited the DJI site, and downloaded version 2.0 and also the RC assistant software. After doing the update, and the calibrating the remote, I discovered X1 acting erratically. It's as if it's lost the ability to smoothly move the gimbal. If I move it one direction, it will rapidly go up or down, but there is no in between. If I move it from stop to stop, again, it's either pointed straight down, or straight forward. I read on other forums how to calibrate it, use the RC software first to calibrate the sticks, then come back to the Phantom assistant software and calibrate X1. Nothing I've tried seems to work. I've reverted to 1.08, and attempted to re-calibrate it there without success as well. Could the potentiometer have gone bad? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks In Advance!

2. #2 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never experienced this problem and sadly never paid attention to the posts where this problem has appeared. This is due to natural suspicion of anything new until people have said its all ok. I am still on 1.08

I would be surprised if something has happened to the potentiometer as I don't recall ever seeing a report where one has failed. Going back into my distant memory didn't we have to install a driver to get the quad to talk with the assistant ? Maybe I am imagining things. If there was a driver though is that present on your fresh install PC ?

I am sure someone better qualified will be along soon.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

3. #3 Top |
    Uses Prop guards
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the driver installed, though I have suspicioned the driver was different for 1.08, than what I possess now. Also have wondered if there was a different version of the RC assistant for 1.08 as well. Right now, I'm just stumped, as it makes doing videos of any quality impossible.
    Phantom 2/Zenmuse HD-2D Gimbal/GoPro Hero 3+ Black/FPV/Pelican 1640 Case

4. #4 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like

How to test a potentiometer

image.jpg
    Check the solder joints on the pot

Try operating the pot directly with a screwdriver with case & lever removed. It's possible the pot has broken loose from one of its solder pads on the PCB so when you move the lever it makes & breaks contact. If that's the case, a little touch-up with a soldering iron should do the trick.

image.jpg
    Use a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter)

If you don't have a digital multimeter get one, they're real inexpensive. You can use it to measure resistance (in ohms) across the terminals of the pot.

image.jpg
    Measure the pot

There are usually three terminals, each end of the resistor and a middle terminal for the wiper to pick off variable resistance. Measure from one terminal on either side of the pot to the wiper terminal (usually in the middle) and turn the pot, it should vary in resistance on the meter without cutting out.

5. #5 Top |
    Uses Prop guards
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll do this first thing in the morning iDrone, it's like it's gone whack... it jumps from 1000 to -1000 when I'm calibrating with little movement of the lever... I can control it but it's not smooth, I have to understand it's going to move the gimbal in a short throw... not the full length of the switch.

6. #6 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a re-post from another forum where I also described as how I fixed it as a extreme beginner.

----

As one n00b to another, I had the same exact issue. Took me a moment, but this video helped (well initially I did not quite understand what I was looking there, also my RC did not open as well as his )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJLIHm2m90E

First off: if you turn on your RC and assistant software go check how much does the lever actually respond. Mine reacted slightly so I had a feeling there was not much contact between the lever and that orange resistor on the board (sorry im just a pilot, not a builder, so if calling it wrong, so be it). you will notice that the lever houses behind it a plastic stick with + shape end and that orange resistor also has + shaped slot on it. they need to align and actually touch. So when you turn you lever it turns the resistor. You need to move the lever to one or the other side completely so it will be in straight position and then you need to align the resistor as well. also make sure the tx value will show something like -1000 or so. Like in the video, you may need to either raise that reisistor abit OR maybe just tightening the screw on the lever itself will help.

What happened for me was that now my lever actually recorded movement from ca -1000 to -400 (should go to 1000). So I entered calibration and after that it did a nice -1000 to 1000 just like intended.

So the first thing you might wanna try is just calibrate it and see if it helps. My problem was just that I could initially get the gimbal to look down or forward and even that sometimes did not work because the last 10% of lever movement did all that. Now it's working just fine.

It just sucked that DJI did not do a proper test on the RC.
    Last edited by Maniac; 05-29-14 at 03:47 AM.
    Phantom 2 | H3-3D | GoPro 3 Black | TS 353 | Skyzone HD goggles| Boscam RX-LCD5802

7. #7 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe you guys with the P2 are using a DJ6 transmitter.

That X1 calibration issue is best sorted by doing a manual calibration, as per instruction notes- i.e. no PC connection.

Tx calibration.jpg
    Last edited by discv; 05-29-14 at 07:42 AM.

8. #8 Top |
    Uses Prop guards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by discv View Post
    I believe you guys with the P2 are using a DJ6 transmitter.

That X1 calibration issue is best sorted by doing a manual calibration, as per instruction notes- i.e. no PC connection.

Tx calibration.jpg
    DISCV!!! You solved my problem! I had done the manual transmitter calibration, but I'd never calibrated X1 during that process. I've been dealing with this issue for more than a month, had even resoldered the pins on the resistor thinking that may be the issue. I was about to get a new Pot and replace it. Thanks so much!

TexasPilot

9. #9 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasPilot View Post
    DISCV!!! You solved my problem!
    Thanks so much!

TexasPilot
    Great - the power of the internet !
    Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

10. #10 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well chuffed! Same here- I did not include the X1 channel. Fact is that I added the missing bit [about the X1 channel] to the DJI manual.

Mods- might be worth a sticky-quite a common problem.

11. #11 Top |
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by discv View Post
    Well chuffed! Same here- I did not include the X1 channel. Fact is that I added the missing bit [about the X1 channel] to the DJI manual.

Mods- might be worth a sticky-quite a common problem.
    Done
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

12. #12 Top |
    Respected Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff Shrimpy. Might be worth a thought- this issue crops up with the P1 as well. As too whether it applies to you guys with 5.8-Tx's...................?